Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alainr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
When i am on zoom calls, my imac will suddenly freeze, turn off by itself and eventually restart. At first this was after about 1/2 hour on zoom but now it sometimes happens after 5 minutes. I am running high sierra 10.13.6 on my 27" mac.

duanepatrick

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Computer crashes may relate to memory, cpu, and disk usage. You may want to check if there are other apps running in the background that is eating your computer's memory (e.g. chrome) and quit it.

You may also consider upgrading your mac's hardware specs or buying a new one.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
I assume Thermal issues of the CPU and/or GPU are the cause of intermittent shutdown .
You could download MacsFanControl (for free) and post a screenshot of MFC at idle and under load.

Further it would be helpful to post the specs of your iMac (year,CPU,RAM etc.)

or buying a new one.

This would make the existence of MacRumorsForums pointless...

Last edited:

chrus8051

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2015
I have a similar problem with a 27" 2020 iMac w/ 3.6 10-core i9 128GB Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16GB
It works fine unless I am in zoom. When I run zoom it randomly locks up the Mac requiring a hard shutdown/reboot
I originally thought it might be related to running parallels with Axis Camera station but the last time it happened I had stopped parallels before launching zoom. The other possibility is an external Lacie TB3 drive, it's random so hard to reproduce when you want to test, sometimes is take 40 minutes or so into zoom call before it crashes.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
One thing to check is third-party audio or video software, if any. Are there any third-party plugins in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL or /Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL?

chrus8051

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2015
The only thing in the Plug Ins file is
"Third party CoreMediaIO DAL Plug-Ins"
Seems not to be the source.

Don347

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2021
When i am on zoom calls, my imac will suddenly freeze, turn off by itself and eventually restart. At first this was after about 1/2 hour on zoom but now it sometimes happens after 5 minutes. I am running high sierra 10.13.6 on my 27" mac.
I'm having a similar problem. Zoom crashes about 1-3 minutes into every meeting on my new Macbook. My computer is basically brand new (got it 6 weeks ago).

My specs are:

2020 MacBook Pro on Big Sur 11.2.2
2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
32 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X

I have another Macbook Pro from 2016 and Zoom works fine.

The only other application I'm running is a virtual desktop.

I just watched a Youtube video that said to go to Settings > Video > Advanced > Deselect "Use hardware acceleration for receiving video" but have not tested that yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.