Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blufire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2002
Hi, I'm having a problem with the date constantly resetting (after the computer is shut down, and the power strip is turned off) on a 500 MHz Summer 2001 slot-load iMac. It's running 10.2.6, so the 10.2.4 date reset bug shouldn't be the issue. I've tried just about everything, including zapping PRAM and NVRAM, pressing the PMU reset (CUDA button), replacing the /usr/share/zoneinfo folder with a good one from my PMG4, running the PMU 1.1 update under OS 9 (though it shouldn't affect OS X, and it said I didn't need the update anyhow), running DiskWarrior many times from a CD, and a couple other things. The last thing I can think of would be a bad battery, but do you think that could possibly be it, in a computer that's only about 2 years old? I'm guessing it has to have SOMETHING to do with the PMU/battery, since the date/time resets to december 1969, 7 PM only when the power strip is turned off for a few minutes.

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated, as well as instructions (or a link to instructions) on how to remove the bottom of the iMac so as to reach the PRAM battery (it's a tight fit through the user-access door). Also, if there's some way to reset the PMU (besides the CUDA button), I'd love to know how.

Thanks SO MUCH in advance!!
-Hanson

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.