Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The_MutenRoshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2017
Hi guys,
I was wondering in buying an iMac 21,5 4K.

Just a quick question: How is the design in working for you? I mean it looks a little but dated, thise bezels are huge and that's what is keeping me from getting it right now.

1st: Do you like it? Isn't this size too small for 2017?

2nd: Anyone with i5 3,4, 512GB and 16G RAM? How's that beast?

Thank you!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It's a computer not a car. The design is fine other than you can't upgrade the RAM like the 27". Both also should have user upgradable storage too. Rather have that than thinner bezels or no chin.

I like the size myself, but I went with the 27" this time because 8GB is worthless and I'm not paying Apple RAM prices. I thought a 27" + 24" monitor would be too munch screen but it's not. I also wondered if my 1080p 24" Cinema Display would look like crap next to the 27" 5K but it looks fine. So glad I caved and bought the 27".

Yes, a 21" with 512 SSD and 16GB RAM should serve you well for a few years.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
It's a computer not a car. The design is fine other than you can't upgrade the RAM like the 27". Both also should have user upgradable storage too. Rather have that than thinner bezels or no chin.

I like the size myself, but I went with the 27" this time because 8GB is worthless and I'm not paying Apple RAM prices. I thought a 27" + 24" monitor would be too munch screen but it's not. I also wondered if my 1080p 24" Cinema Display would look like crap next to the 27" 5K but it looks fine. So glad I caved and bought the 27".

Yes, a 21" with 512 SSD and 16GB RAM should serve you well for a few years.

I was considering (the new 21.5" 4K high-end) customized with the 1 terrabyte SSD drive. I know that Apple charges a premium for those drives, but if I have the $$ to spend, is it worth it to get the 1TB SSD? Or am I being totally ripped off?

Btw…. the 27" is a no-go for me. I have limited room/table space, and the 21" model is more than "big enough" display for me. I just hoped that the high-end options on the 27" would have been offered on the 21" models too. Heck I would have gone for the 2TB fusion drive if they had offered it for the 21" model.

einbahnstrasse

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2004
NorCal
Had an old 27" was too big for the space. The design is dated and 21" is almost too small. If the screen reached near the edges like modern designs and they got rid of the big empty void of silver at the bottom it would be refreshing.

JasonMovieGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Had an old 27" was too big for the space. The design is dated and 21" is almost too small. If the screen reached near the edges like modern designs and they got rid of the big empty void of silver at the bottom it would be refreshing.

It shouldn't be how it looks; it should be what the machine can do. That's why I tire of these new smart phones that come out every month boasting how super thin they are. But never do they have things I'd rather pay more for (e.g. Better battery life). I'd rather have a functioning computer that can do wonders then something that looks pretty but can't perform the tasks in need it to do.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I was considering (the new 21.5" 4K high-end) customized with the 1 terrabyte SSD drive. I know that Apple charges a premium for those drives, but if I have the $$ to spend, is it worth it to get the 1TB SSD? Or am I being totally ripped off?

All of Apple's CTO options are "rip offs." Always have been. Of course no "work around" when it comes to RAM on the 21" and 16GB is a must have. The 1TB internal SSD is definitely sweet, but also monstrously expensive. Personally, I put a SSD in an ext. enclosure and called it a day. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea b/c no TRIM support but for my purposes it's more than fine. But you could also consider the Samsung T3 external SSD. It's very well regarded. A 1TB runs $400, so not cheap but still a couple hundred less than Apple's CTO internal. I'm not really a fan of internal drives in iMacs because if something happens to them you have to take the entire machine to the store rather than just swap out a drive.

jlseattle

Cancelled
Jan 9, 2007
Seattle WA
Hi guys,
I was wondering in buying an iMac 21,5 4K.

Just a quick question: How is the design in working for you? I mean it looks a little but dated, thise bezels are huge and that's what is keeping me from getting it right now.

1st: Do you like it? Isn't this size too small for 2017?

2nd: Anyone with i5 3,4, 512GB and 16G RAM? How's that beast?

Thank you!

1) I like the size of the 24". It's bigger than a laptop but not as big as the 27" (I ended up with the 27" over time - long story)

2) If you get an SSD drive and the appropriate amount of ram (16gb) then you will see decent performance.

WARNING: Apple puts a 5400 RPM drive in the fusion version drive for the 24". It's ridiculous and I really don't understand the design decision to do that. Avoid that drive like the plague. It will push your mac to pre 2011 performance in just one component.

If you do the i7 and the SSD drive and the updated RAM you are then into 27" territory as far as costs. BUT if size is a factor than I would go with the 24". I decided on the 27" because I accidently bought the 24" with and i7 processor and 1tb fusion drive. HUGE mistake. They shouldn't even allow that monster to be created. It should disable the ability to pick a 5400 rpm drive with an i7 processor. Amazing....

Good luck and have fun with your new Mac!

Reactions: The_MutenRoshi

The_MutenRoshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2017
1) I like the size of the 24". It's bigger than a laptop but not as big as the 27" (I ended up with the 27" over time - long story)

2) If you get an SSD drive and the appropriate amount of ram (16gb) then you will see decent performance.

WARNING: Apple puts a 5400 RPM drive in the fusion version drive for the 24". It's ridiculous and I really don't understand the design decision to do that. Avoid that drive like the plague. It will push your mac to pre 2011 performance in just one component.

If you do the i7 and the SSD drive and the updated RAM you are then into 27" territory as far as costs. BUT if size is a factor than I would go with the 24". I decided on the 27" because I accidently bought the 24" with and i7 processor and 1tb fusion drive. HUGE mistake. They shouldn't even allow that monster to be created. It should disable the ability to pick a 5400 rpm drive with an i7 processor. Amazing....

Good luck and have fun with your new Mac!
24"? I don't think there is a 24" version..

einbahnstrasse

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2004
NorCal
It shouldn't be how it looks; it should be what the machine can do. That's why I tire of these new smart phones that come out every month boasting how super thin they are. But never do they have things I'd rather pay more for (e.g. Better battery life). I'd rather have a functioning computer that can do wonders then something that looks pretty but can't perform the tasks in need it to do.
If it were on purely on performance many of us could build our own hackintosh but we have our own subjective preferences for aesthetics, size, feel, noise stuff that Steve and many of us cared about

Reactions: Icaras

The_MutenRoshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2017
If it were on purely on performance many of us could build our own hackintosh but we have our own subjective preferences for aesthetics, size, feel, noise stuff that Steve and many of us cared about
This. I'm probably going to but the 27" as tue racio bezels/screen is better for this size and do not look too dated.

Anyway, everything tends to be bigger overtime. And the difference for the 21,4" is just 200 euro.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
It's a computer not a car.

For me I buy Apple for design as well as functionality. I wouldn’t have converted to Apple years ago if it weren’t for Steve’s hardcore design philosophy and vision. I love how my iMac looks on my desk and how it compliments the room’s decor. For me, working in a simple, neat environment helps me be more productive and Apple design always becomes an extension of that. The more Apple can reduce the machine into something that’s less and less there, where it starts to almost blend in or dissapear into you’re environment, the easier it is to just focus on what’s on the screen. I agree with the OP that the bezels on the current 21.5” are unsightly for 2017. The new 10.5-inch iPad Pro is really the perfect example of what cutting edge design can do to get me more focused on the content.

I was really was hoping for a redesign this year so I’ll be keeping my money in my wallet until next year.

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
I am going to obviously go against the grain here. I think Apple is one of the few companies making stuff that actually looks modern. From an industrial design standpoint I think iMacs look better then anything else out there right now. But that is just my personal preference. I do agree that screen size is small. But I am sure its fine for some people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.