Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zarkers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2018
The network cable and router is working fine and has been tested on another computer. It came with a very old version of OSX with which the port was working. After updating to the latest OSX the network port just won’t work.

Any ideas? Your help would be very much appreciated!

— Symptoms: —
In System Preferences -> Network - it says:

“Either the cable for Ethernet is not plugged in or the device at the other end is not responding.”

On the left panel it says - Ethernet: Not Connected

— Notes: —
  • Network port on Mac refuses to function after software update. It worked fine with the very old OSX that it came with (originally OSX 10.8 I think?)
  • Port and network cable are working. Tested these with my PC Laptop and no problems. Router port light *is on* while connected to iMac
  • After updating OSX to 10.13.2 the network port refused to work altogether.
  • Is the ethernet adapter BCM5701 driver not provided anymore?
— iMac Specs —
iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2011)
CPU: 3.1 GHz Intel Core i3
Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M 256 MB
[doublepost=1527331784][/doublepost]-- SOLVED --
FIXED :D This had been a nuisance for months and took me hours and hours of digging through forums to fix. I found the solution on an apple discussion thread copied below.

Source: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7251574

"Today I found another solution for my problem:
— Delete all network interfaces in System Preferences > Network
— Delete file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist (and maybe you can need delete file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist)
— Reboot
— After Reboot go to System Preferences > Network and add all network interfaces (wi-fi Ethernet and other)
— Done! "

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.