Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
And that´s the beauty of film, you can take a roll of film that´s close to 100 years old, put it in a projector of today, and get an image on the screen.
You think you can do that with a HD tape 100 years from now? (obviously trying to find a tape deck, not a projector)

Anyone tried to watch a Beta tape latly? :rolleyes:

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
yoak said:
And that´s the beauty of film, you can take a roll of film that´s close to 100 years old, put it in a projector of today, and get an image on the screen.
You think you can do that with a HD tape 100 years from now? (obviously trying to find a tape deck, not a projector)

When you get a roll of 65mm film to play on an 8mm projector lemme know. ;)

Yes, projects stored digitally will have to be xfered to newer storage formats every X amount of years, but you'll always have a perfect copy. Film, even properly stored, degrades physically and chemically. When they took Star Wars out of the vault to be rereleased in theaters it looked awful. They had to do much more restoration work than they planned on.

Anyone tried to watch a Beta tape latly? :rolleyes:

I work with Beta tapes all the time. BetaSP, that is. ;) Pro formats have much longer legs than consumer formats. There is videotape technology that is 30 or 40 years old and still in day-to-day use industry wide. And if you ever happen upon a tape you don't have a deck for you can always take it to a duplication facility and have them transfer it to a usable format (or just rent a deck).

Lethal

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
He he he, you got me there LeathalWolfe.
I also work with Beta on a regular basis, Digi and SP.
Not the old living room version though... ;)

Well enough of that, it´s 0527 AM here, I just got back from hospital as a father for the first time.
An amazing little girl that took 34 hours to get out, and we ended up having a ceasarian after all those hours. I´m knackerd, but happy.
Cheers and good night :D

PS Daughter and wife still at hospital, I was sent home due to no room for me, thats why I´m here ;)
<only company for a beer at this hour :rolleyes:

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Congrats Yoak!

Musta been a lot of love in the air early this year 'cause I keep getting word from friends & family that so-and-so just had a kid. :)

Lethal

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
LethalWolfe said:
Congrats Yoak!

Musta been a lot of love in the air early this year 'cause I keep getting word from friends & family that so-and-so just had a kid. :)

Lethal
Ya, same thing. I think there must have been a lot of power outages in January.....people couldnt watch TV, so they reverted to other forms of 'entertainment' ;) ;) ;) :D

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
LethalWolfe said:
Just like all the different kinds of HD are different. For example, HDV, DVCProHD, HDCAM, HDCAM SR, HD DVDs, HD from b'cast/cable/satellite, and HD output from the Thompson Viper filmstream (used on "Collateral") or the Panavision Genesis (used on the new Superman movie) are all different qualities and all fall under the "HD umbrella." Of course you also have to consider the different res/framerates too (1080/60i, 1080/24p, 1080/30p, 720/60p, 720/24p, 720/30p).
Huh, I didn't know there was more than one frame rate that fell under the HD standard. How do the different kinds of HD (HDV, DVCProHD, etc.) differ? Is there a different compression, frame rate, or what? I thought the whole idea of a standard was to avoid different formats, so you know what you're getting. I would imagine 720/60p is cleaner (and a much larger file) than 720/24p. I did notice on my DVR from the cable company, advancing frame-by-frame seems to have less than 24fps (though it may advance several frames at a time).

Dave

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
yoak said:
Well enough of that, it´s 0527 AM here, I just got back from hospital as a father for the first time.
An amazing little girl that took 34 hours to get out, and we ended up having a ceasarian after all those hours. I´m knackerd, but happy.
Congratulations! My sister had her first last weekend, also 34 hours of labor. I'm the godfather. [Insert movie references here.] Never a more helpless feeling than when your wife is giving birth, because there's really nothing you can do but get yelled at, and there's such a huge opportunity to say stuff that will get you in trouble ("If I could have it for you, I would" "I understand your pain" etc)

Again, congrats. Your life will never be the same (in a mostly good way).

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.