Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Astro13

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 4, 2023
Don't forget with Links2 you need X11 installed if you want to leverage the GUI version, so there is that added step. It doesn't sound like OP would be too comfortable at all with a text based Terminal browsing experience. I agree DarkWeb and AF are good options for the meager resources of an iMac g3 & OSX. Interestingly, Retrozilla initially did the same thing for me as OP on my B&W a few days back. I did not have the time to investigate/trouble shoot at that time

*Just got Retrozilla working. The user experience is very similar to L2 but a bit snappier. I also prefer the UI a bit more. Ive been experiencing some stability issues with L2 preceding KPs. It works but minutes in, L2 goes unresponsive in activity monitor then followed by a kp, so I am happy to report RZ working well for me now.

I think all in on these g3s I am partial to Darkweb. For me, it is a good balance between relative speed, functionality and comfortable GUI.
How did you get retrozilla working?

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
How did you get retrozilla working?
Well, that’s not entirely clear to me honestly, however I’ll lay out the path I took. It is important to note that x11 was being wonky on my B&W. My laymen understanding is that X11 is a gui display system within Tiger. Because of this, L2 gui option was not working properly for me. Anyhow, I had pivoted to Retrozilla at this point. I then DL’d the app off Macintosh garden which (like you) out of the box did not work for me. At that time I pivoted back to repairing X11 which I reinstalled off my retail Tiger disk. This then corrected L2 for me. At this point I had to stop, so powered down my B&W. A few days later I came back to RZ. I booted up, clicked RZ and it worked.

Now was this due to a simple reboot or did reinstalling x11 fix it? I do not know. Either way that was the path I took to a functional Retrozilla.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.