Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LegoWormNoah101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2021
United States of America
The idea is simple: make the iMac G3 better but not ridiculous. Here's what I plan to do:

Stock motherboard replaced with intel motherboard from later Mac Pro or *hackintosh-able

Stock Hard drive replaced with SSD

Stock optical drive replaced with SuperDrive

You'll notice I didn't add CRT replacement. That's because I wish to keep the original CRT for authenticity. If possible, could I use the original CRT connection on the G3? I also mentioned a SuperDrive, as I don't want to have to use another slot-loading G3 drive as the belts will wear out again. For specs, it's an iMac G3 400 DV SE (what a mouthful) dual-booting MacOS 10.3 and 9.2

*I really don't want to build a hackintosh...

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
First off, you’re not the first guy to think of this. There’s been plenty of people who’ve wanted to do something like this.

If it’s a working G3, I’d advise against it. The project will be destructive to the device, even if it works.

On the topic of the CRT, models after the Bondi Blue original had the crt logic on the motherboard of the iMac itself, and you’d have to venture into arduino hacking to get it to work, not for the faint of heart. Iirc someone has done it, but it’s a big pain in the ass.

The drive in the slot loading models is 5.25 inch, and your best match for that is a SuperDrive from a MacBook or iMac when they came with disc drives.

The Mac Pro motherboards are too big to fit, and the 2013 has threes separate boards that are built around the central heatsink, basically you’d have to shove the whole machine in there anyway.

Your choice of pc motherboards is limited to Mini-itx, and you’re limited to integrated graphics and a tiny heatsink if you wanna keep the crt.

The only iMac g3 casemods I’ve ever seen have removed the crt in favor of an lcd. That works but there’s really no good 4:3 LCDs for sale anymore. You’d be stuck with some bottom barrel stuff.

This still doesn’t mention things like speakers, I/O, or other little things that people often forget when planning builds like this.

If you wanna use the iMac for its crt, id just use a vnc client to vnc into a modern Mac. Easier, non-destructive, and only requires an ethernet connection.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
I'd consider going with an LCD and maybe sticking a Mac Mini inside as the new engine. I've been watching a lot of car shows on TV and I marvel at how they shoe horn a Chevrolet LS engine into an old 1960's classic. Use a refurbished M1 Mac Mini and you'd be running Big Sur on what looks like a G3 iMac.

LegoWormNoah101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2021
United States of America
First off, you’re not the first guy to think of this. There’s been plenty of people who’ve wanted to do something like this.

If it’s a working G3, I’d advise against it. The project will be destructive to the device, even if it works.

On the topic of the CRT, models after the Bondi Blue original had the crt logic on the motherboard of the iMac itself, and you’d have to venture into arduino hacking to get it to work, not for the faint of heart. Iirc someone has done it, but it’s a big pain in the ass.

The drive in the slot loading models is 5.25 inch, and your best match for that is a SuperDrive from a MacBook or iMac when they came with disc drives.

The Mac Pro motherboards are too big to fit, and the 2013 has threes separate boards that are built around the central heatsink, basically you’d have to shove the whole machine in there anyway.

Your choice of pc motherboards is limited to Mini-itx, and you’re limited to integrated graphics and a tiny heatsink if you wanna keep the crt.

The only iMac g3 casemods I’ve ever seen have removed the crt in favor of an lcd. That works but there’s really no good 4:3 LCDs for sale anymore. You’d be stuck with some bottom barrel stuff.

This still doesn’t mention things like speakers, I/O, or other little things that people often forget when planning builds like this.

If you wanna use the iMac for its crt, id just use a vnc client to vnc into a modern Mac. Easier, non-destructive, and only requires an ethernet connection.
I just had a couple ideas.

Would it work if I replace the original CRT with a tube from a generic 15" monitor and connect it internally?

What if I used a Mac Mini board?

If all else fails, how would I use vnc from MacBook to G3?

LegoWormNoah101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2021
United States of America
I'd consider going with an LCD and maybe sticking a Mac Mini inside as the new engine. I've been watching a lot of car shows on TV and I marvel at how they shoe horn a Chevrolet LS engine into an old 1960's classic. Use a refurbished M1 Mac Mini and you'd be running Big Sur on what looks like a G3 iMac.
That could work. As I mentioned, keeping the CRT is for authenticity and keeping the insides from looking empty. And as JMacHack mentioned, I'd need to use an Arudino to use the OG tube, so what about an aftermarket tube?

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
I marvel at how they shoe horn a Chevrolet LS engine into an old 1960's classic. Use a refurbished M1 Mac Mini and you'd be running Big Sur on what looks like a G3 iMac.
it helps that the LS is slightly smaller than the old small block, and the transmission bolt pattern is the same. A lot of those 60’s classics jad options for a big block and those were massive!

I just had a couple ideas.

Would it work if I replace the original CRT with a tube from a generic 15" monitor and connect it internally?

What if I used a Mac Mini board?

If all else fails, how would I use vnc from MacBook to G3?
The tubes aren’t the problem, most of the crt is fine, the problem is the “control board” the logic that controls the crt itself. Unfortunately, crt parts are no longer made, and a generic board wouldn’t work even if it existed, since the screen takes a nonstandard voltage to start iirc. The logic is what controls the refresh rate and scan of the crt tubes. I’d at least look up the basics of how a crt works. They’re fascinating little pieces of techm

Aside from all that, I’d VERY STRONGLY advise AGAINST working on a crt, they store enough power to kill you. Even after being unplugged for a long period of time. If you have never worked on any CRTs before, I would strongly suggest that you don’t mess with it.

A Mac Mini motherboard would indeed fit, but it’d be tight with the crt.

As for the vnc solution, I’ve been looking for a ppc vnc program to vnc from my G3 to my other computers myself, but haven’t found anything that completely works yet. iMac G3s are limited to OSX 10.3.9, and Screen Sharing was introduced in 10.4. I’m sure one exists, Apple had a vnc program before it was built in to osx.

LegoWormNoah101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2021
United States of America
it helps that the LS is slightly smaller than the old small block, and the transmission bolt pattern is the same. A lot of those 60’s classics jad options for a big block and those were massive!

The tubes aren’t the problem, most of the crt is fine, the problem is the “control board” the logic that controls the crt itself. Unfortunately, crt parts are no longer made, and a generic board wouldn’t work even if it existed, since the screen takes a nonstandard voltage to start iirc. The logic is what controls the refresh rate and scan of the crt tubes. I’d at least look up the basics of how a crt works. They’re fascinating little pieces of techm

Aside from all that, I’d VERY STRONGLY advise AGAINST working on a crt, they store enough power to kill you. Even after being unplugged for a long period of time. If you have never worked on any CRTs before, I would strongly suggest that you don’t mess with it.

A Mac Mini motherboard would indeed fit, but it’d be tight with the crt.

As for the vnc solution, I’ve been looking for a ppc vnc program to vnc from my G3 to my other computers myself, but haven’t found anything that completely works yet. iMac G3s are limited to OSX 10.3.9, and Screen Sharing was introduced in 10.4. I’m sure one exists, Apple had a vnc program before it was built in to osx.
So if I wish to keep the CRT or any CRT, it would have to be modified in some way? And even if modified, how would I connect it to the Mini board?

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
At risk of encouraging you, I’ve found a video in which a guy made an arduino project

To connect the Mac Mini to the board, you would also need an hdmi to vga converter, since the crt is made to accept vga signals.

Again, I strongly discouage this. Working on crts is no joke.

LegoWormNoah101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2021
United States of America
At risk of encouraging you, I’ve found a video in which a guy made an arduino project

To connect the Mac Mini to the board, you would also need an hdmi to vga converter, since the crt is made to accept vga signals.

Again, I strongly discouage this. Working on crts is no joke.
This really doesn't encourage me to mod the original tube. I'm not actually going to start this project until all the parts and any mods are decided on. I also have made the decision that I won't be working on this alone. I will need help from third parties, whether that be family members or trusted modders in the USA.

This really is looking like I'll need to use a Mini-itx board and hackintosh it.

LegoWormNoah101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2021
United States of America

Now that you mention the Bondi Blue, I found this eBay listing for M4984.

It's listed as parts only with no HDD and no VRAM. Is this an original? If so, would the project be easier to do with this vs the Graphite model?

LegoWormNoah101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2021
United States of America
Hypothesis: if I had the money to burn, I should get somebody to recreate the original logic board of my 400 DV SE, with the following changes:

1: The PPC CPU must be swapped with Intel 6th generation or lower

2: it must be the exact same dimensions as the original

3: it must retain the original CRT controller or compatible

4: Wi-Fi must be built-in OR compatible with any wireless cards

5: the ATI GPU must be removed

LegoWormNoah101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2021
United States of America
UPDATE 1 ON PROJECT: I have made a final decision on a few things.

1: I will use a Mac Mini board

2: The built-in speakers will be ignored (unless suitable replacements can be found that don't blowout easily)

3: I will use port replicators/hubs to fill in the gaps where the old ports were (rear VGA port will be ignored)

4: The stock optical drive will be replaced with a USB SuperDrive

Things I have yet to decide on:

1: How the internal display situation will be handled

2: If/where a cooling fan should be implemented if needed

3: How the board will be oriented

LegoWormNoah101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2021
United States of America
UPDATE 2 ON PROJECT: the g3's hard drive is completely dead and clicks rhythmically. If I decide to start the project, I won't feel as bad about data loss, but that's not important.

I should've admitted it from the beginning:
I am in over my head and can't do this project alone.

I'm gonna need some help, but I don't know who to trust.
If anyone has any particular modder in mind in the U.S.A, please let me know. Meanwhile, I'll look for someone in my area, and keep you posted.

Sorry I didn't post in a year. I was busy with college, taking care of my family, and my YouTube channel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.