Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlackSpade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2022
Hi.

I have a Imac G3, i dont know detailed specs for it but its a slot loading one. Currently MacOS 9.2.2

So, i want to install MacOS 10.3 to it, i burned the iso to a flash drive and connected it to G3. But when i open installation app then click restart its gives this error: "Startup disk was unable to select the install CD as the startup disk. (-2)." so i used the starup disk utility and manually booted from usb.

The grey apple logo and loading circle appeared but 1-2 mins later the apple logo turned to "block" symbol. Loading circle just rotates forever but nothing happens :((

Sorry for bad English...

Thanks in advance.
c31e8c36-df0c-4446-b6be-caedaf93e8a0

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
Welcome to the forums!

This usually means the Mac cannot find the root device to boot from. If you hold down Command-V before booting it should show you more info in the boot process (this will usually look like "Still waiting on root device...").

Try burning the iso/dmg to a disc and boot from that.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
This usually means the Mac cannot find the root device to boot from.
In this case, it might also mean Panther cannot use a USB device as root device. (I've not succeeded in booting Jaguar from USB but haven't tried Panther.)

If you're interested, you can download a version of 10.4 that's compatible with G3 machines here. :)
The description on the page is... interesting: It claims Tiger won't install on G3s due to the lack of AltiVec (which isn't a problem; the lack of FireWire is, to the installer at least) and also claims some G4s lack AltiVec.

BlackSpade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums!

This usually means the Mac cannot find the root device to boot from. If you hold down Command-V before booting it should show you more info in the boot process (this will usually look like "Still waiting on root device...").

Try burning the iso/dmg to a disc and boot from that.
Hi thank for the advices and sorry for giving not enough info...

CD drive doesnt work, thats why i am tying to install it via usb

Reactions: Amethyst1

BlackSpade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2022
Hi, the choice is yours but why bother with 10.3 when 10.4 is much better and gives you access to far more software, including new releases?

If you're interested, you can download a version of 10.4 that's compatible with G3 machines here. :)
Thanks for your time i will try doing this. But i have a question though, do you prefer a specific program to burn the iso?

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
In this case, it might also mean Panther cannot use a USB device as root device. (I've not succeeded in booting Jaguar from USB but haven't tried Panther.)

I think you're right. When I attempted to install Panther via USB on my iMac G3 I also met the prohibitory screen. Installing Tiger via USB on the other hand was faultless.

The description on the page is... interesting: It claims Tiger won't install on G3s due to the lack of AltiVec (which isn't a problem; the lack of FireWire is, to the installer at least) and also claims some G4s lack AltiVec.

Yeah, I thought that was a strange claim - likewise that the AltiVec hardware is absent from some G4s. That was one of the major marketing points of the G4 range and I've never heard of any G4 model that lacks it.

BlackSpade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2022
Hi, the choice is yours but why bother with 10.3 when 10.4 is much better and gives you access to far more software, including new releases?

I trying to install this ISO but i cant boot to it. When i use the app while system 9.2.2 on it gives the same error, so i tried the startup disk utility but it booted to MacOS 9.2.2... :(

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Would that have been the first PowerMac G4 (the PCI graphics released first, before the AGP graphics G4). Maybe that was an early release without the Altivec core (I don't quite recall now), or something about that first release did not have Altivec enabled, or something like that. But, even then, I don't think that would interfere with installing Tiger in any way (maybe? maybe not?)

Reactions: BlackSpade

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Would that have been the first PowerMac G4 (the PCI graphics released first, before the AGP graphics G4). Maybe that was an early release without the Altivec core (I don't quite recall now), or something about that first release did not have Altivec enabled, or something like that.
FWIW a post on MacOS9Lives mentions Mac OS 8.6 (which shipped with the first AGP and PCI G4s) having issues with AltiVec.

Last edited:

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Thanks for your time i will try doing this. But i have a question though, do you prefer a specific program to burn the iso?

Are you using 9.2.2 on the iMac to create these USB installers or is this being done on another Mac?

Personally I use Disk Utility within OS X for this task. I've outlined the steps in this post which enabled me to set up Tiger on my iMac G3 via USB installation. I haven't tried to do it in 9.2.2 but perhaps others who are more proficient with OS 9 can offer solutions.

BlackSpade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2022
Are you using 9.2.2 on the iMac to create these USB installers or is this being done on another Mac?

Personally I use Disk Utility within OS X for this task. I've outlined the steps in this post which enabled me to set up Tiger on my iMac G3 via USB installation. I haven't tried to do it in 9.2.2 but perhaps others who are more proficient with OS 9 can offer solutions.
When i try disk utility restore method it gives OSStatus error 19. So i use hdd raw copy..

BlackSpade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2022
Hello again.. Update!

MacOS X 10.4 install usb booted no problem but now the HDD doesnt show up on disk utility.. I cant install it. :(

BlackSpade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2022
Update again. I installed MacOS X 10.2 to PearPC then write the PearPC img file to Imac's HDD and tried to boot in verbose mode. It says Still waiting for root device.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
It sounds like there's an issue with the install media - possibly the method in how it was created.

You should probably stick with trying to get 10.4/Tiger onto the iMac rather than 10.3/Panther or 10.2/Puma. Is it possible for you to attach photos of what happens when you attempt to install Tiger? That might help us to pinpoint what's going wrong. This really shouldn't be so difficult and I'm certain that something is being overlooked.

BlackSpade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2022
It sounds like there's an issue with the install media - possibly the method in how it was created.

You should probably stick with trying to get 10.4/Tiger onto the iMac rather than 10.3/Panther or 10.2/Puma. Is it possible for you to attach photos of what happens when you attempt to install Tiger? That might help us to pinpoint what's going wrong. This really shouldn't be so difficult and I'm certain that something is being overlooked.
Ok, here is the full saga!

1) I use a USB IDE adapter to format HDD.
_DSC3669.JPG

Translate of the settings: Mac OS extended journaled + Apple Partition Map
_DSC3670.JPG

2) I put the HDD back on, CD drive is not connected because when i connect it, the computer wont boot from the HDD. I dont know why. I tried everything.
_DSC3673.JPG

3) I use this USB as install medium.
_DSC3677.JPG

Format the USB same as HDD (Extended Journaled + Apple Partition)
_DSC3678.JPG

Then i use the restore feature. I used the .dmg TheShortTimer suggested (Macintosh Garden 10.4 G3 modified)
_DSC3680.JPG

Restore was successful!
_DSC3681.JPG

4) I connect the usb to IMac and boot!

_DSC3682.JPG

_DSC3684.JPG

I use this command to boot, if i use the normal "boot usb1/disk@1:,\\:tbxi" to boot it gives the prohibitory screen.

5) It booted! Lets see disk utlity!
_DSC3687.JPG

As you can see it just shows the install media :(
_DSC3689.JPG

Then i connected this 1TB external HDD just out of curiosity
_DSC3690.JPG

External drive shows up.
_DSC3694.JPG

I dont know why this is happening :(
Sorry for my bad English i hope you can understand.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: TheShortTimer

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Sorry for my bad English i hope you can understand.

Do not apologise. Your English is fine and I understand you. I could not communicate in Turkish on an equivalent level! :)

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for those photos, they're a big help.

I'm wondering if maybe the cabling for the HDD has become faulty or is not set correctly or perhaps the jumper on the drive needs to be set to Cable Select (CS) or Master. Are you able to change the jumper settings and do you have a spare IDE drive on hand that you can test with the iMac?

If that is not detected either with the jumpers set correctly then I'd suspect there's a problem with the cable. Do you see or hear the HDD spinning or starting up when the computer is turned on?

Also, you shouldn't need to use Open Firmware to boot from USB. Holding down the Option key when the computer is turned on should be enough to begin the process. Does that work for you? Let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1

BlackSpade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2022
Do not apologise. Your English is fine and I understand you. I could not communicate in Turkish on an equivalent level! :)
Thanks!
I'm wondering if maybe the cabling for the HDD has become faulty or is not set correctly or perhaps the jumper on the drive needs to be set to Cable Select (CS) or Master. Are you able to change the jumper settings and do you have a spare IDE drive on hand that you can text with the iMac?

If that is not detected either with the jumpers set correctly then I'd suspect there's a problem with the cable. Do you see or hear the HDD spinning or starting up when the computer is turned on?
There is no jumpers on HDD, because when i make the HDD master it fails, reading head knocks everywhere, makes weird noises.

And yes HDD is working, i can hear it spins.
_DSC3697.JPG
_DSC3699.JPG

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.