Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrAjarix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2018
England
Hey guys, I want to restore my iMac G3 and have the original disks ('Software Restore' and 'Software Install'). Both have options to essentially install OS9. What is the difference between the 2 ways of doing it?

Thanks

Last edited:

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Restore sets it up as it was from the factory and install will allow you to pick and choose what goes where.

If you want the full nostalgic experience go for restore, you might find a few gems in the pre-loaded software. otherwise if your goal is to go lean, go for a minimal install.

Reactions: MrAjarix

MrAjarix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2018
England
Restore sets it up as it was from the factory and install will allow you to pick and choose what goes where.

If you want the full nostalgic experience go for restore, you might find a few gems in the pre-loaded software. otherwise if your goal is to go lean, go for a minimal install.

Ah okay that makes sense. thank you for your reply. Any ideas why when I installed OS 9.1 copying my old games over would lock up all but the mouse cursor but installing OS 9.2.2 didn't?

Thank you very much for you help! :)

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Remember to check the mouse innards, their could be build up and junk on those white rollers where the ball sits.
Ahhhhh, 1999!

MrAjarix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2018
England
Remember to check the mouse innards, their could be build up and junk on those white rollers where the ball sits.
Ahhhhh, 1999!

The mouse is fine since I can move the mouse cursor. The problem is that I cannot click anything and I have to power off the machine and back on again via the power button. The progress bar for the file transfer never completes. I would assume it were a hard drive problem if not for the fact that this problem is absent in both os 9.2.2 and os x. It only happens in os 9.1 .

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.