Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DukeLeto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2019
I recently found a iMac G3, of which I think it's a iMac DV (M5521), in perfect physical condition (no dust, scratches) at a thrift shop for almost no money. Unfortunately, and maybe not unexpectedly, it doesn't start.

I've dug through lots of forum posts and service manuals to try and diagnose the issue, but I can't identify it. I hope any of you can help me diagnose it further.

When pressing the power button, the power LED lights up, flickers a bit and then stabilizes with a reduced brightness.

And that's it. No keyboard LED, spinning up hard disk, POST failure beeping or any other sounds really. Even the DVD-drive doesn't respond when I try to put in a disc.

I've tried the following things:
  • Remove all the RAM to try and force a POST error
  • Disconnect the HDD
  • Replace the logic board battery, and reset the Power Management Unit (PMU)
  • Connect an external monitor
I would really love to get this thing working so any help would be appreciated.

philgxxd

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2017
Malaga, Spain
If you are still around i would suggest to search for help in the collectors subforum. There is an user called @MacTech68 who is being very helpful to me with troublshooting.
Also try in the PowerPC subforum as they are many active people with old/older machines as yours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.