Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Hello,
I have a summer 2001 iMac G3 that I have no idea the background of. All I know is that it does not turn on. I have changed the PRAM battery and pushed the reset button on the logic board, and I have checked the trickle power which showed that the PSU isn't supplying enough power. I am wondering if there is a point in trying to fix it? The power supplies for this model are almost impossible to come by on eBay and it might be broken/will get broken further even after changing the power supply. If I do fix it I have no clue where to even start. I have looked at the service manual that Apple made for this computer.
Any thoughts/comments are appreciated. Thank you in advance!

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
@Certificate of Excellence, thank you for the suggestion. Do you think you might be willing to PM me if you have any ideas for where I can get the PSU fixed and the price please? Also, I don't know if you've done it before, but if you have, do you know if I need to be extremely careful around the CRT neck? I've read that it will explode if you bump it. Thanks

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
acxelectronics down in Austin Texas has a good reputation for repairing mac psus. I have not pulled a psu out of an imac g3. The downloadable service manual for a slot loader imacg3 is here:

It is quite a process to get to the psu (power/analog board) but doable. If you are not comfortable with this level of repair though, due to the cost of psu repair, I think it may be best to pass it on to someone who could use it or take it to recycling or a reseller or part it out. I acknowledge that this is not an everyday easy breezy repair because it is not. Best of luck to you.

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
@Certificate of Excellence, I appreciate the tips. I agree that the repair looks challenging, especially with the hardest repair I've done being an iBook G4 hard drive replacement. Although the hardest part looks like disconnecting the CRT. If I decide to do it I guess all I can do is follow safety procedures and be very, very careful :) Thanks again!

Last edited:

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Actually, I was wondering if someone can tell me how breakable the CRT neck is please? Is the glass about as sturdy as a light bulb? I'm just trying to gauge how risky the repair would be. Thanks.

ahurst

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2021
Not sure if this applies to your situation, but I was once tasked with reviving an iMac G3 that powered on briefly and then immediately turned off. After much digging I learned that the G3 CRTs had problems with their flyback transformers, which would go bad on some models and draw excessive power during boot and causing the system to shut itself down out of protection. Does yours power on at all, or is there zero flash of life when you press the button?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.