Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
It's 2019 and I'm shocked at how much I've been using my snow 600mhz G3. For Internet usage and word processing. Light photo editing. Using a mix of ice weasel, camino and arctic fox, the modern Internet has been Surpringly good to our old G3 CPUs. It's not perfect, some bloated websites are frustrating (but there are fixes to make them load faster) and arctic fox isn't the most stable browser I've used. Some people are obviously gonna disagree about the G3s usefulness, no the G3 isn't nearly the fastest PPC and yes it can be slow and yes you will need to be flexible while using something this old.
But by using a mix of different browsers as some sites work better than others on different browsers, I still found the old G3 to be quite useful in this day and age for most daily Internet tasks including even Discord messaging.

With just some patience and getting used to using different browsers for different tasks, you could definitely get along with the old reliable G3 if you were in a pinch and had no other way to get on the Internet. Take some time to appreciate the machine that introduced millions to the Internet.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Afraid mine gathers dust and is only used for testing now..but with it's retrofitted 7200RPM HDD, I know it's there in reserve and could still be used as a multitrack music production machine if every other device I have fails ;)

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Afraid mine gathers dust and is only used for testing now..but with it's retrofitted 7200RPM HDD, I know it's there in reserve and could still be used as a multitrack music production machine if every other device I have fails ;)
They are defintely good PPC back up machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.