Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Hi there. Need some help about MacOS9.
I've installed a 120GB SSD with SATA2IDE adapter into one of my 400MHz iMacG3 DV.
Via TargetDiskMode (from a G4/Tiger-PPC) I've created 3 partitions: 1) 10GB (for os9) 2) 40GB (for Tiger), 3) Rest (for data). Drivers for OS9 included during partitioning the drive.
Installation of Tiger and os9 worked fine.
Booting into Tiger works fine.
Trying to boot into os9 fails, showing a FloppyDisk-Icon with a "?"
Booting with a os9 optical medium does work - choosing then the os9 partition enables booting.
Strange.
Any ideas?
After all I'm still a green os9 novice ...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi there. Need some help about MacOS9.
I've installed a 120GB SSD with SATA2IDE adapter into one of my 400MHz iMacG3 DV.
Via TargetDiskMode (from a G4/Tiger-PPC) I've created 3 partitions: 1) 10GB (for os9) 2) 40GB (for Tiger), 3) Rest (for data). Drivers for OS9 included during partitioning the drive.
Installation of Tiger and os9 worked fine.
Booting into Tiger works fine.
Trying to boot into os9 fails, showing a FloppyDisk-Icon with a "?"
Booting with a os9 optical medium does work - choosing then the os9 partition enables booting.
Strange.
Any ideas?
After all I'm still a green os9 novice ...
Set the startup disk before you reboot?

G4fanboy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Andalucia Spain
Check if the adapter have Master/Slave/Cable select options.

With my PowerBook 17" and the adapter I had troubles until I find the right option.

z970mp, Mac OS 9 loves SSDs

Reactions: AphoticD

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Maybe OS 9 wasn't designed for SSDs.

Maybe it doesn't like the SATA-IDE-adapter ... that thing drives me crazy!
Did another clean install with an universal os9.21 (US) CD: initialized the internal drive and created 3 partitions using os9 (CD-boot); then installed that os9.21 and the iMac was able to boot into os9.
After several software-installs the iMac had to be rebooted and the rebooting failed again - only a disk-icon with the blinking question-mark, no further progress.
But it's funny: as long as I insert a CD with a bootable os9-system, the iMac is able to boot into the SSD's os9 again?!

Check if the adapter have Master/Slave/Cable select options. With my PowerBook 17" and the adapter I had troubles until I find the right option.
z970mp, Mac OS 9 loves SSDs

There's just a single jumper at the SATA-IDE-adapter. After removal no booting at all.

Anyone here running an iMac G3 with a working SSD-solution?
Or could it be a matter of a faulty cable?

G4fanboy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Andalucia Spain
I think you are using the cheap/ generic adapter. Look for an adapter with máster/slave and cable select options.
Most of my macs loves cable select option, but my PB AL wanted Máster Iirc

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I think you are using the cheap/ generic adapter. Look for an adapter with máster/slave and cable select options.
Most of my macs loves cable select option, but my PB AL wanted Máster Iirc
Yep, ordered another adapter with more jumper-options today (do you think, the one on the picture would be appropriate?). Hope that will solve the probleme.
But I'm puzzled, that booting did work for a while as it should ...
SATA-IDE-Adapter.jpeg

[doublepost=1536394999][/doublepost]
Did you try asking your Mac nicely to boot it? Who knows, you might just catch it in a good mood.
:)
Oh, honestly not all the time ... I should seek advise from a good Mac whisperer?

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Yep, ordered another adapter with more jumper-options today (do you think, the one on the picture would be appropriate?). Hope that will solve the probleme.
But I'm puzzled, that booting did work for a while as it should ...
View attachment 780230

Hey, I'm getting one of those for an upcoming project. Wish us both luck. ;)

:) Oh, honestly not all the time ... I should seek advise from a good Mac whisperer?

Yes.

But don't call Tim Cook. Macs hate him.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Yep, ordered another adapter with more jumper-options today ...
View attachment 780230

The new IDE-SATA adapter with the 3-Pin-Jumper solved the problem.
Booting into os9 does work fine now.
It had been a bit tricky to fit in the new-drive-adapter-combination into the iMac because there's a bulged part of the EMI-shield in the way (meant for the hinges of bottom-door for easy RAM-access) which gets contact with one corner of the IDE-SATA adapter (exactly at the location of the jumper ...) and I had to slightly reduce the bulging of the EMI-shield with a hammer to fit in everything but leave enough space to the RAM-door-hinges. Now I don't dare to open the RAM-door since the one hinge is fittet really tight and I fear to break it by opening the door with force. Instead I have to remove the complete bottom (just 4 screws) to get access to the RAM-bays...
Honestly not a big deal.
iMacG3 SSD-Mod.JPG

Now the Tangerine has become an awesome machine ...
Just watch Casey Neistat's video and replace 'automobile/car' with 'computer/iMac' etc ... LOL :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.