Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aandreyy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2019
Recently became an owner of iMac G4, 1.25 GHz (M6498). It has 2GB of RAM, 128GB SSD and is running fresh install of 10.5.8.

Unfortunately overall performance is quite disappointing and is lower that I expected. Comparing to my PowerBook G4 12'' 1.5 GHz it's significantly slower. Benchmarks scores reflect the performance situation: Xbench CPU is ~30.0, Geekbench 2 is ~470.

I tried to blow some dust away from the motherboard and re-paste CPU and heat sink, but didn't notice any significant difference.

At this point I have no idea what else could be done. What am I possibly missing?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Did you use an unmodified (original) Leopard installer or a slimmed-down image? If it's a modified image, I'd reinstall using an original one as another member reported performance issues after using a slimmed-down one.

Is Spotlight still indexing the file system? If so, it's best to wait until it's finished.

Any CPU hogs in Activity Monitor (set it to show "all processes")?

Totalbearface

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2019
United Kingdom
Recently became an owner of iMac G4, 1.25 GHz (M6498). It has 2GB of RAM, 128GB SSD and is running fresh install of 10.5.8.

Unfortunately overall performance is quite disappointing and is lower that I expected. Comparing to my PowerBook G4 12'' 1.5 GHz it's significantly slower. Benchmarks scores reflect the performance situation: Xbench CPU is ~30.0, Geekbench 2 is ~470.

I tried to blow some dust away from the motherboard and re-paste CPU and heat sink, but didn't notice any significant difference.

At this point I have no idea what else could be done. What am I possibly missing?

I have an iMac G4 20" with identical specs to that, except it has the original 60GB hard drive rather than an SSD and the thing flies on Leopard 10.5.8.

Just installed leopard on my 1.0GHz PMG4 MDD with 2GB RAM which has a faster hard drive in it and it's slow as hell. While indexing it was unbearable, after indexing it still crawled.

aandreyy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2019
Double checked spotlight indexing, it's not running, disabled MDS to be completely sure. Nothing shows up in Activity Monitor except WindowServer, guess it's because of Activity Monitor itself. The system installed is full version of Leopard, same source as on my Powerbook.

I tend to think that this is some hardware problem. Although, while I am more or less familiar with typical software issues, I never had a chance or a reason to deal with Apple hardware woes.

Totalbearface

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2019
United Kingdom
Double checked spotlight indexing, it's not running, disabled MDS to be completely sure. Nothing shows up in Activity Monitor except WindowServer, guess it's because of Activity Monitor itself. The system installed is full version of Leopard, same source as on my Powerbook.

I tend to think that this is some hardware problem. Although, while I am more or less familiar with typical software issues, I never had a chance or a reason to deal with Apple hardware woes.

What type of SSD is in it? I know some of the cheaper IDE drives can be a painful experience.

aandreyy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2019
I managed to connect SATA3 SSD through IDE adapter. The one that I found being recommended on this forum. Guess, I should try my setup with original IDE HDD. Thanks for good point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.