Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mooselux

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2023
Hello,

A couple of weeks ago i bought a imac G4 15" at a yard sale and now i bought parts of anotherone for making a lamp, but now that i got the parts i realised that the parts that i bought included the screen with casing and cable and i found out that it actualy is an 20" Display and now thought about replacing the 15" Display with the 20".

Sadly i don't know if the 20" screen is working or not and if a swap is possible or even worth the effort.

I hope someone knows how i can test the Display and if this is possible. In the atatchment i put pictures of the cables tht come out of the top of the stand.

Attachments

• cable3.jpg
    cable3.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 118
  • cable4.jpg
    cable4.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 50
  • cable2.jpg
    cable2.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 39
  • cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 53

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The 20-inch iMac G4 is twice the weight of the 15-inch model. It's not all in the display, there is added weight in the base, to balance out the much-larger LCD screen.
So, I would suggest that the 20-inch screen might be mechanically adapted to the 15-inch half-globe base, but probably not a stable platform, without the extra weight in the base that is designed for the larger screen.

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2023
Yeah the spring in the arm that allows it to swivel not going to hold that. There’s a guy on YouTube I don’t remember the channel he did something similar and it ended up breaking the spring in the arm.

Reactions: Mooselux

mik22

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2024
The display of a 20 inch model is also much thicker and heavier, than the one of the 17inch and 15inch model. The display has also two CCFL inverters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.