Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Full-Throttle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
USA
Just wanted to post this in the unlikely event someone else was trying to replace the panel in their 17'' iMac G4. I have the 1.25 GHz model, and the display had dimmed due to the backlight aging. The stock panel in my iMac was a LM171W02-A4M1. I found a seller that had new in box panels for the 17'' iMac G5 with iSight, which used a slightly different LM171W02-TTA1. The datasheets on these panels are very similar, but the iMac G5 version has faster refresh rates, wider viewing angles, higher contrast ratios, and a slightly brighter backlight. I was a little hesitant because I read online various posts stating that compatibility issues existed due to EDID differences between the panels, and that they couldn't be swapped without first swapping the EDID EEPROM chips. I can confirm the iMac G5 panel does in fact work on the iMac G4, and it was a drop in replacement. They look identical and all of the mounting hardware is in the exact same spot.

Hope this helps save someone a lot of time if they are trying to restore an older G4 iMac.

panels.png

Attachments

• LM171W02-A4M1.pdf
    525.9 KB · Views: 123
  • LM171W02-TTA1.pdf
    576.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

akator

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2016
Thanks for that info. I've been thinking about replacing my G4 iMac screen for a while...

MarceloCS

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2023
Hello!
The 20" screen on my iMac G4 also died and I found a used screen from an iMac G5 for sale. From what I understand it would work without a problem. What do you think?

pics of my dead Imac g4 and the Imac G5 ad.

Attachments

• Captura de Tela 2023-04-02 às 13.48.12.png
    Captura de Tela 2023-04-02 às 13.48.12.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Captura de Tela 2023-04-02 às 14.03.33.png
    Captura de Tela 2023-04-02 às 14.03.33.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 73

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I think the first gen of the powerbook AL 17 has the same panel. They said that in a keynote AFAIK
I think what Jobs was saying at the keynote was the inspiration for a 17" wide screen PowerBook was inspired by positive response to the workspace provided by the 17" iMac. Not necessarily a literal drop in part. I don't know for sure that it wouldn't, but I don't seem to recall anyone ever doing it either.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Full-Throttle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
USA
Hello!
The 20" screen on my iMac G4 also died and I found a used screen from an iMac G5 for sale. From what I understand it would work without a problem. What do you think?

pics of my dead Imac g4 and the Imac G5 ad.
I don't own a 20 inch model so I can't say one way or the other.

I think this is the datasheet for the G4 panel you have: https://www.tonymacx86.com/attachments/m201z2-pdf.81549/

If you can figure out the exact model number for the iMac G5 panel, and then compare their datasheets you might be able to see if they are the same dimensions and compare connector pinouts, voltages, etc. The number that begins with a W in your G5 picture seems like an Apple part number and not the actual panel model. Whatever panel you buy, it must have a TMDS display connector, or it won't work. LVDS is a no-go.

Full-Throttle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
USA
@Full-Throttle would you still happen to have the seller’s contact details? Looking to replace the lcd panel on a 17” iMac G4.
I got it from ElectronicMac.com. I believe this was the listing.

Reactions: yakult121
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.