Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colbyjohn94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2016
Hi everyone!

Not sure if anyone will care but this is one of the only places I can think to post about it besides twitter! I've been on a passion project these last few weeks and I finished it the other night and wanted to share (because I'm absolutely geeking about it!)

I decided to make my dream computer and figured out a way to put and M1 chip inside an iMac G4!!

I've always wanted the iMac G4 since I was a kid and I knew a few people made some hackintosh's with them but I didn't want that, I wanted a real Mac. I always thought about putting the Mac mini internals in it but with intel chips it wouldn't work for a couple reasons (size, heat/airflow). Well now with the M1 how thermally cool it runs, I thought I'd give it another shot!

Well I'm proud to say after a lot of frustrating weeks and reengineering of the G4 dome base, it was a success! I'm typing this on the updated G4 right now :)

I'm certainly not an engineer by any standard and went into the mod blind, not knowing what to expect. I reached out for some help during the process and I want to give special thanks to my friend Jeremiah, who put up with my frustrating @$$ on many sleepless nights as he helped work on this with me. Also thank you Pendleton115 (from twitter) who helped me through some of the technical questions I had throughout the wiring process and encouraged me to keep going. Lastly to DremelJunkie - who's blog helped me make this idea possible with the wiring process and all of his detailed mod outlines from 10 years ago and are still remarkably helpful!

I might be the only one to find this cool but I'm pretty proud of it because I had a vision to build my dream computer and to be able to use it as my daily driver now just brings a smile to my face!

I'll attach some pictures and if you guys want see a video I can post my Twitter! Let me know what you guys think and I'd love to know if anyone has tried anything similar!

Attachments

• IMG_3254.jpeg
    IMG_3254.jpeg
    333.6 KB · Views: 9,650
  • IMG_3255.jpeg
    IMG_3255.jpeg
    374.9 KB · Views: 1,717

colbyjohn94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2016
I'll have to open it up again this weekend because I totally forgot to take a pic of the inside after I got it all placed on the bottom plate and ready to be put together. I was too eager to get it all working (and its was nearly midnight when it got finished lol)

I promise to open it back up and take some videos of the process I went through soon. I have another 17" that I was going to mod too after this one and maybe make it a little bit cleaner/streamline of a mod and less MacGyvered lol because aside from some parts a lot of this was made up as I went so the next one will be more streamlined hopefully!!

Link to my tweet with a video

There's my link to twitter so you can see it running and swiveling!! Sorry I don't have more videos yet, still got work during the day and this was my side project but will post some this weekend!

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I'll have to open it up again this weekend because I totally forgot to take a pic of the inside after I got it all placed on the bottom plate and ready to be put together. I was too eager to get it all working (and its was nearly midnight when it got finished lol)

I promise to open it back up and take some videos of the process I went through soon. I have another 17" that I was going to mod too after this one and maybe make it a little bit cleaner/streamline of a mod and less MacGyvered lol because aside from some parts a lot of this was made up as I went so the next one will be more streamlined hopefully!!

Link to my tweet with a video

There's my link to twitter so you can see it running and swiveling!! Sorry I don't have more videos yet, still got work during the day and this was my side project but will post some this weekend!
Looks amazing. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on your hard work and success!

Reactions: happyslayer

Pendleton115

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2019
Hi everyone!

Not sure if anyone will care but this is one of the only places I can think to post about it besides twitter! I've been on a passion project these last few weeks and I finished it the other night and wanted to share (because I'm absolutely geeking about it!)

I decided to make my dream computer and figured out a way to put and M1 chip inside an iMac G4!!

I've always wanted the iMac G4 since I was a kid and I knew a few people made some hackintosh's with them but I didn't want that, I wanted a real Mac. I always thought about putting the Mac mini internals in it but with intel chips it wouldn't work for a couple reasons (size, heat/airflow). Well now with the M1 how thermally cool it runs, I thought I'd give it another shot!

Well I'm proud to say after a lot of frustrating weeks and reengineering of the G4 dome base, it was a success! I'm typing this on the updated G4 right now :)

I'm certainly not an engineer by any standard and went into the mod blind, not knowing what to expect. I reached out for some help during the process and I want to give special thanks to my friend Jeremiah, who put up with my frustrating @$$ on many sleepless nights as he helped work on this with me. Also thank you Pendleton115 (from twitter) who helped me through some of the technical questions I had throughout the wiring process and encouraged me to keep going. Lastly to DremelJunkie - who's blog helped me make this idea possible with the wiring process and all of his detailed mod outlines from 10 years ago and are still remarkably helpful!

I might be the only one to find this cool but I'm pretty proud of it because I had a vision to build my dream computer and to be able to use it as my daily driver now just brings a smile to my face!

I'll attach some pictures and if you guys want see a video I can post my Twitter! Let me know what you guys think and I'd love to know if anyone has tried anything similar!
Happy to have helped out! It turned out awesome!

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
Holy crap this is cool! Well done colbyjohn94! I have the fastest iMac G4 (see in signature) and it's surprisingly fast compared to other G4 based machines I own, but it sure doesn't have an M1 in it lol. Imagine an M1X Mac Mini in one of these.

How did wire up the display? Was it custom?

Onil

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2008
Hi everyone!

Great project ! Congratulations !
the iMac G4 is the best looking iMac ever. I own a G4 15” and a Cube G4. The cube would be a nice candidate to this mod.
??

Reactions: chrisdazzo

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
The M1 iMac G4.

You can basically put the M1 in any MAC as it is an iPad chip. Should be no issue in terms of thermals.

Piplodocus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
+1 for make a proper YouTube vid, not an instagram one (I don't use instagram hardly so am unlikely to ever find it).

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
Great project ! Congratulations !
the iMac G4 is the best looking iMac ever. I own a G4 15” and a Cube G4. The cube would be a nice candidate to this mod.
??
Yeah, if one could find a G4 Cube in decent condition for less than USD$200. Been looking for a while myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.