Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ksp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Hi,
My iMac G5 20" Rev. B ir experiencing so called "pixel-dancing". In essence, that is when bunch of pixels flash and dissapear randomly mostly on black or dark colors.
It seems to be not so common problem, at least google didn't find anything what can help me.
Anyhow, the "pixel-dancing" starts usually when iMac been runing for half an hour or so, but then again, it's not regular - sometimes it happens, sometimes it's not, though it seems to happen more often when wathing movies for some period of time (at this point iMac is running about 70 C in fullscreen mode) or working in Photoshop. As I mentioned before, it only happens with solid black, or dark colors.
It's really annoying. I contacted our Apple reseller, they suggested to do full time Apple Hardware test - did that, all items passed sucessfully. Anyway, reseller contacted Apple and now is waiting for an answer, so in the meantime, maybe you guys could help? Any solutions, causes or fixes?

I made a small video clip showing the problem, here. It's about 30 MB. Sorry about the quality, but the "pixel-dance" is clearly visible. In the video that is Photoshop, with an picture of skating ramp.

Thanks a lot.

solidgoldmini

macrumors regular
Pixel Dancing

I can't say I have an answer for you, but I have a 20" Rev. B iMac also, and I've seen that same thing also. I haven't really noticed it too much during normal operation, but when it's first booting up after a restart, when it's finishing the load up process I can see that pixel dancing happening in my desktop background. But I'm pretty sure it stops once it finishes it's loading process. I worried at first, but I figured it was OK because it stopped after loading, but now I see it's happening to you during use, I'll have to take a closer look. I hope you can find something on this, and please let us know if you do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.