Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Following the success in re-homing my iMac G4, I am now offering up my 20" iMac G5 ALS (A1076), 2.0 GHz, 2GB RAM, 256GB SSD, fully working but no longer needed here at home.

Full specs at https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_g5_2.0_20.html.

I am giving this away to a deserving enthusiast in the UK, but ask that you chip in for the postage, which should come in at under £12 by ParcelForce 48.

First come first served ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Last edited:

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
@Akulareb , ever so sorry but it seems the power supply on the iMac has died :(

I started it up and it died just after login, so I restarted and did some work to destroy Yaboot (I was dual booting Leopard and Linux), then shut it down normally.
Now it won't start at all; I've tried different power cables and known working sockets but to no avail.

My only option now is to open it up, check for internal fuses, then assuming I can't find anything I will strip out my SSD so I can properly format it in another machine, maybe the RAM and DVD drive as well, and leave the poor old iMac out for scrap.

Hugh

I’m delighted by this thread and glad this iMac G5 is probably going to a good home very soon. :D

It makes me think maybe we should create be a continuing, single thread, one pinned, allowing PowerPC folks donate (and only donate, not sell or, in most cases, swap) their Macs to a good home within the community — all without needing to shove it into the limited-access Marketplace forum. :)

@Akulareb , ever so sorry but it seems the power supply on the iMac has died :(

I started it up and it died just after login, so I restarted and did some work to destroy Yaboot (I was dual booting Leopard and Linux), then shut it down normally.
Now it won't start at all; I've tried different power cables and known working sockets but to no avail.

My only option now is to open it up, check for internal fuses, then assuming I can't find anything I will strip out my SSD so I can properly format it in another machine, maybe the RAM and DVD drive as well, and leave the poor old iMac out for scrap.

Hugh

This being the ALS iMac G5, it may very well be you just ran into the notorious capacitor failure this series suffered. Typically, a failing PSU is going to make a noticeable sound when it fails suddenly. If the person accepting the donation is willing to replace the capacitors, they may get new life from it.

/me , ever the optimist when it comes to vintage Macs…

Reactions: TheShortTimer

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
This being the ALS iMac G5, it may very well be you just ran into the notorious capacitor failure this series suffered. Typically, a failing PSU is going to make a noticeable sound when it fails suddenly. If the person accepting the donation is willing to replace the capacitors, they may get new life from it.

/me , ever the optimist when it comes to vintage Macs…

Quite. I have one with bad caps on the logic board and its LCD is wrecked otherwise I would've had a crack at replacing them but @Hughmac I believe its PSU is fine. I could arrange to send it to you if you're interested in seeing if the iMac can be resurrected.

Reactions: B S Magnet
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.