Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kge420

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
I have to open up my iMac G4 in the near future and when I do I want to add a bluetooth module (820-1696). I don't have nor can I locate the necessary BT extension cable. I am wondering if the BT antennae from an iMac G5 (631-0019) would work as an alternative. I would most likely pass the wire through one of the vent holes in the bottom rear and affix the rectangular portion to the body.
I am well aware of the dangers, difficulty etc. of removing the logic board and have no problems giving this a go as long as the two items are compatible.
Thanks, Keith

Last edited:
Reactions: 1042686

kge420

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
I installed the bluetooth card today and can confirm that it works. iMac booted fine and immediately started a search for bluetooth devices. Turned on the keyboard and it paired without issue. Using it to type this.
I didn't get too involved with taking the iMac apart. I cut the plastic cover open that is in the wifi/memory area and the port for the card was easily accessible. Attached the antennae and fixed it into the recess between the ram and wifi card. all good. haven't checked for how far the signal may reach as this was just done for a keyboard.
Hope this helps

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
I installed the bluetooth card today and can confirm that it works. iMac booted fine and immediately started a search for bluetooth devices. Turned on the keyboard and it paired without issue. Using it to type this.
I didn't get too involved with taking the iMac apart. I cut the plastic cover open that is in the wifi/memory area and the port for the card was easily accessible. Attached the antennae and fixed it into the recess between the ram and wifi card. all good. haven't checked for how far the signal may reach as this was just done for a keyboard.
Hope this helps

I was watching this thread to see the outcome. So, you installed the regular iMac G4 BT card, but used an antenna from a G5 iMac? If that is wrong please correct me. Can you link to the parts you used just for record's sake? It is funny, as I was just thinking I would do something similar about 3-4 weeks ago, but lost interest in the idea for the time being.

kge420

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
I was watching this thread to see the outcome. So, you installed the regular iMac G4 BT card, but used an antenna from a G5 iMac? If that is wrong please correct me. Can you link to the parts you used just for record's sake? It is funny, as I was just thinking I would do something similar about 3-4 weeks ago, but lost interest in the idea for the time being.
That is correct. Part numbers are in post #1. BT card came from an early iMac G5. This was done with parts I had on hand. Maybe I'll take some photos and post them.

Last edited:

kge420

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Took some photos and converted to .jpg and am unable to upload.
Is there a minimum post count that I've not met?

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
I don't know about a post limit or anything but I can upload the photos you e-mailed me if you'd like.

Dustin

kge420

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
That would be fine. Did you get things up and running?

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
I didn't. I emails you with the issues I was having just now. Essentially the BT card isn't recognized in the system information. Airport lost its signal, but may be loose antenna connector for that and I will investigate again tonight.
Here is the photo you emailed to me that shows how you installed it very well. This is pretty much exactly how I installed mine as well.
BT iMac.jpg

Reactions: Nice
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.