Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Col Colt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Tennessee
I've been in the market for animac G5 and saw this in Buyers Guide...what does this mean about...."approaching the end of a cycle"?

Product: iMac
Last Release: January 10, 2006
Days Since Update: 165 (Average = 183)
Recommendation: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle
Special Notes: none.

('special notes' last updated on January 10, 2006)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The iMac G5 was already superceded by the iMac Core Duo. If you want a used one, that's fine -- I love mine. But the Jan 2006 release was the Core Duo -- not the iMac G5. What the end of cycle means basically is that, based on historical trends, it is likely that the iMac Core Duo will be refreshed (probably just a faster processor) in the coming few months.... But that has relatively little impact right now on purchasing a G5....

iShane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2006
New York -> SF
mkrishnan said:
The iMac G5 was already superceded by the iMac Core Duo. If you want a used one, that's fine -- I love mine. But the Jan 2006 release was the Core Duo -- not the iMac G5. What the end of cycle means basically is that, based on historical trends, it is likely that the iMac Core Duo will be refreshed (probably just a faster processor) in the coming few months.... But that has relatively little impact right now on purchasing a G5....

That's what I thought too. I just didn't want to give a new user wrong advice. :eek:

I too love my iMac G5. It is either Rev A or B I can't remember but I'm fine not having intel.

Col Colt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Tennessee
Hmmmm...I had been out to CompUSA looking at the G5 and hadn't heard about the Core Duo. The had bothe the 17 and 20 inch jobbies available. Guess I'm a bit behind as I didn't know there was gong to be an Intel chip inside any mac. I suppose I need to get caught up with reality!! So, you wouldn't hesitate in buying at this point the G5?

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
If you need a G5 for pro applications like Photoshop or Illustrator which do not yet run natively on Intel processors, then seek out a used iMac G5 or leftover stock model iMac G5. Otherwise, you're best bet is to get the current iMac Core Duo. Also of note, the iMac Core Duo is due for a product update soon. The timing of the update is not known.

Col Colt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Tennessee
Sounds like good advice. I'll check nextgime I go to CompUSA, which is the only place around here to get a mac, if they have the Core Duo. It could be that's what I saw as I suppose cosmetically they look the same. Thanks for the advice.:)

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
Go for the G5! Huzah!

(im not quite over the fact that Apple released the intel iMac like 3 weeks after the last PPC iMac, which by the way, is by far the best computer i have EVER owned)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Col Colt said:
Sounds like good advice. I'll check nextgime I go to CompUSA, which is the only place around here to get a mac, if they have the Core Duo. It could be that's what I saw as I suppose cosmetically they look the same. Thanks for the advice.:)

Just to give you a very rough guideline... if do end up looking for a used G5 for whatever reason, you should be targetting a price absolutely no more than $500 less than the equivalent new model... That is, an iMac G5 17" should go around the $800 price-range, and perhaps $1000 for a 20"....

And again, only reason to do so is if you use Adobe or another product that does not have an imminent universal release.

Also look at the Apple web-store just so you have a baseline, because sometimes CompUSA and the like do sell outdated gear....

Good luck! :)

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
if you can afford it, I'd say go intel because they are definatley faster unless your doing rosetta stuff, and even still eventually photoshop and stuff will be universal

Col Colt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Tennessee
Nearly everytime I went to CompUSA I'd always end up in the Apple corner playing with the G5. I should have gotten it six months ago when I started to when it was available as now, it seems it's not. Like a fine woman, I let her slip through my hands!!:mad: Just don't know about this new one yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.