Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrk07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Yeah, I know that this has been posted many times on this forum I am sure, but it seemed like all the threads I found sorta just trailed off and nobody ever gave definitive answer on their solution.

I have a G5 iMac Rev. A :mad: , and I have the legendary buzzing of the fan noise. I can sorta live with it until I run any sort of app that eats up a lot of resources and then I just want to throw the computer out of the window. So my question is, has anybody actually successfully fixed this problem, and how?

I do have applecare, and I called apple tech support today, and they had told me that they believe it is a hardware issue (obviously) and I would have to bring it in and they will check it out. My problem, I live 2 hours away from the closest Apple store/certified apple repair people and I fear that they will just tell me that "thats how they are supposed to sound." I do have tomorrow free to drive the 2 hours, but I am a little reluctant because I fear that it will end up being a waste of time. Any advice would be GREAT! :D

macboi1981

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2003
Minnesota
On Site Service ...

I had to have a repair on my rev A iMac G5 and also have applecare. The repair was different though, my power supply went bad. When I spoke with them I let them know I was not near any Apple Certified Repair Centers and they arranged to have someone come out to my house and perform the repair. This might also work for you.

jrk07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
macboi1981 said:
I had to have a repair on my rev A iMac G5 and also have applecare. The repair was different though, my power supply went bad. When I spoke with them I let them know I was not near any Apple Certified Repair Centers and they arranged to have someone come out to my house and perform the repair. This might also work for you.

This may be an option, but I would almost rather drive the 2 hours then rely on some service tech to come to my place. I have had some pretty terrible experiences with service techs (directv, sbc, etc.) actually showing up when they say they would and have wasted many days on them. I will consider this though, knowing it is an option. This would be a good option because at least the computer would be in a more quiet environment. One of the things I had read is that the MacGenius' at the retail stores can't hear the noise because the store is too loud already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.