Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
I am looking into buying a Mac for both my work and for at home to do video editing. I was comparing the 17" iMac 1.8 to the PM single 1.8 and it almost seemed to me that the iMac was a better buy for the buck (better video card). What do you think? Can the iMac do some heavy video work (editing plus some Motion)?

I am going to TRY to get an extra $400 to get the PM G5 Dual 2 for work, but I'm not sure I can pull that off. (Might be able to convince them to spend more if we use the apple payment plan system).

Also, for at home, would you recomend the iMac with added Ram over a decked out MacMini?

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
AtHomeBoy_2000 said:
I am looking into buying a Mac for both my work and for at home to do video editing. I was comparing the 17" iMac 1.8 to the PM single 1.8 and it almost seemed to me that the iMac was a better buy for the buck (better video card). What do you think? Can the iMac do some heavy video work (editing plus some Motion)?

I am going to TRY to get an extra $400 to get the PM G5 Dual 2 for work, but I'm not sure I can pull that off. (Might be able to convince them to spend more if we use the apple payment plan system).

Also, for at home, would you recomend the iMac with added Ram over a decked out MacMini?

The latest iMac is a great bang for the buck, especially when compared to the PM SP. That PM is still $1499, right?

You should move up to the $1499 2.0Ghz iMac with SuperDrive. At $1499 the iMac gives you an LCD and great design. The PM gives you expansion, more RAM capability and the ability to upgrade the video card. Those are all nice to haves but the only reason I'd buy a PM is if I *needed* dual processors.

The iMac will handle FCP with no problem. It will probably be just as fast as the single PM in rendering effects. Not sure about Motion, but I'm pretty sure the Radeon 9600 is up to the task there.

As for the mini...no contest. I view the mini as a great iLife machine. Heck, it can even do FCE/FCP but forget about Motion. Once you add RAM and Superdrive (if you want it) into the mini you are close to $800. Not a good deal for a G4 these days. You'd be better off with a refurbished prior gen iMac or PM. And I hate to say it but in a year the mini will be the first Intel-based Mac. Not sure if that means anything to you or not.

If you already have a nice display check out refurb dual PMs. Maybe there is a better bang for the buck deal there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.