Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
MisterGreen said:
Here's what I'm doing. I'll wait until mid January and see what shakes out... IF the dual 1.8 beccomes the entry level powermac at a similar price to what the single processor is now, then I'll buy a power mac... given a choice between a SP Powermac and and Imac.. I'm leaning towards the imac... the main difference is dual monitor support as near as I can tell.
and there are two more RAM slots, plus PCI slots so therefore upgradable graphics card.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
MisterGreen said:
Here's what I'm doing. I'll wait until mid January and see what shakes out... IF the dual 1.8 beccomes the entry level powermac at a similar price to what the single processor is now, then I'll buy a power mac... given a choice between a SP Powermac and and Imac.. I'm leaning towards the imac... the main difference is dual monitor support as near as I can tell.

There is a screen spanning hack that you can use with the imac G5, so really there is not much of a difference other than more ram slots with the SPPMG5 and some more ports that I am sure you might use only 50% of the time. Plus you have to buy a screen.

iMac G5 is a great deal if it had a better Graphic Card, didn't use the old G5 chips and noise issues. Hope rev B uses the low powered G5 chips and cuts back on the heat and noise. :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Devie said:
and there are two more RAM slots, plus PCI slots so therefore upgradable graphics card.

Future Graphic Cards will be using PCIe, so the expansion of using a NEW Graphics Card down the road is going to be small. (not to say they will not make PCI cards though it might match or exceed in price compared to PCIe cards.

If the PMG5 rev C has no PCIe, I will say invest in it.

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
m a y a said:
Future Graphic Cards will be using PCIe, so the expansion of using a NEW Graphics Card down the road is going to be small. (not to say they will not make PCI cards though it might match or exceed in price compared to PCIe cards.

If the PMG5 rev C has no PCIe, I will say invest in it.
PCIe cards are going to take like four years to become mainstream and phase them in as the main card, as to that there just arnt enough people that currently have PCIe on their motherboards.
It would be very stupid for ATi and nVidia to start making PCIe only cards for their entire series. To many people wont be able to buy them.

punkmac

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
iMac screen spanning

m a y a said:
There is a screen spanning hack that you can use with the imac G5, so really there is not much of a difference other than more ram slots with the SPPMG5 and some more ports that I am sure you might use only 50% of the time. Plus you have to buy a screen.

iMac G5 is a great deal if it had a better Graphic Card, didn't use the old G5 chips and noise issues. Hope rev B uses the low powered G5 chips and cuts back on the heat and noise. :)

Just remember, the output is only VGA, not DVI. You will also have to buy the $20 cable to go from miniVGA>VGA out of the iMac.

I love the Sceenspanning hack, I drive a 19" CRT at 1280x1024 at 75Hz.

To go from miniVGA>VGA>CONVERTERBOX(VGA>DVI) would look horrible and cost alot. ($300 I think)

I.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.