Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I've really got an itch to buy a new computer - I've had my powerbook 12 months almost and... I just want something new to play with...!

I could easily afford an eMac - if I got an Apple loan, but I've played with lots of those already.

What I'd really like (and could probably stretch to) is an iMac G5. However, I'm not sure if I should wait a little while before buying one - i.e. for Rev B to come out (whenever that would be)... because in my experience Apple seem to fix and potential shortfalls with a computer quite quickly, and so Rev A is not always the best to go for - take the 12" PB for example, the first version had a really slow FSB (i think) whereas my one has a faster processor and MUCH fast FSB, which makes all the difference....

So what do you guys think? Anyone in the UK used their loan service before? Is it worth it - is it good value or should I go somewhere else and stop being lazy!!

Hob

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
hob said:
I've really got an itch to buy a new computer - I've had my powerbook 12 months almost and... I just want something new to play with...!

I could easily afford an eMac - if I got an Apple loan, but I've played with lots of those already.

What I'd really like (and could probably stretch to) is an iMac G5. However, I'm not sure if I should wait a little while before buying one - i.e. for Rev B to come out (whenever that would be)... because in my experience Apple seem to fix and potential shortfalls with a computer quite quickly, and so Rev A is not always the best to go for - take the 12" PB for example, the first version had a really slow FSB (i think) whereas my one has a faster processor and MUCH fast FSB, which makes all the difference....

So what do you guys think? Anyone in the UK used their loan service before? Is it worth it - is it good value or should I go somewhere else and stop being lazy!!

Hob

FSB on rev. A vs. rev. B 12" PB isn't that different, i think it was 133 vs. 166. also, it's one thing to attribute operational problems to rev. A's being "young," it's quite another to compare specs and say rev. A's are "problematic" because they are "young" -> no, it's just that newer/better stuff comes out for cheaper as time passes. it has nothing to do with revision.

i strongly urge you not to bother taking out a loan to get a computer you just want to play with -> i.e. you don't "need" it, even in the broadest definition of "need." that sounds like a sure way to get yourself into more financial difficulty than you really need to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.