Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrieger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2019
Hello,
I have the iMac 8,1 (early 2008, 24-inch). It is running clean MacOs El Capitan.
My goal is to run unsupported MacOs Mojave and dual boot Windows 10.

Neither of both work:
1. I first tried to install supported Windows 7 with BootCamp Assistant. Booting the iMac from the bootable USB installer, it froze and didn't boot into the Windows Installer.
Then I tried the unsupported Windows 10 by creating an edited copy of BC Assistant with Terminal. I was able to create the bootable USB with the specific Windows Support Software, but it happened again: it froze while booting the USB.

I also tried to reinstall El Capitan with the recovery partition, and tried the same again, but nothing changed.

2. I created a Mojave Installer on a bootable USB with help of the Mojave Patcher Tool. My iMac is theoretically supported by the Mojave Patcher Tool.
As booting into the Mojave USB installer did not work, since it froze just as it happened with Windows 10 installer.
So I booted into Recovery Partition to disable SIP (system integrity protection), but in the recovery partition, when I went to utilities and clicked on open Terminal, it did not respond. Rebooting did not change anything.
Also when I try to connect to the WiFi on the recovery partition, the Mac shuts down unexpectedly, always.

So it was a problem of the Recovery partition. Therefore I created a new bootable Recovery partition usb installer to make the SIP change on a working Recovery Partition, with the help of the Recovery Partition Creator from Sivertooth.
That did not work either, as it froze when booting the Installer...

CONCLUSION:

It seems like my iMac has a problem when booting USB installers, these three as examples:

1. Windows bootable USB installer freezes while booting

2. New recovery Partition USB installer the same

3. Mojave USB Installer does also freeze.

It is rather a problem of the iMac than a problem of my bootable USB installers, since those same methods worked on my other iMac (early 2008, 21-inch, with 2GB Ram less)

Does anybody know how to fix it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.