Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skunk

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Could someone tell me the spec of the iMac HD? I'd rather install a bigger one myself than pay Apple to do it. Is it a standard SATA drive, or what?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Which iMac model? The new ones use standard 7200 rpm SATA drives.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Already answered then...snuck it in there with an edit just in case that's what you were after. :cool:

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
skunk said:
Thanks. God, you're quick! :D
I'm assuming, of course, that it's a user-replaceable part...

If it's like the 17-inch and 20-inch, NO. They're sealed units in terms of user-accessibility, assuming you want to keep the Apple Warranty. The only thing you're 'allowed' to upgrade yourself is the Memory, which is accessed via a small cover at the base of the screen.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
What about the older, newer iMacs?

Will this Seagate work in mine??

EDIT: Oh wait.... I just noticed that it's a ATA-133, not SATA drive... So now here's another question, there are SATA-150 and SATA-300 drives... Which one will work on my iMac?

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
Yes, it will technically work.

However, the current iMacs use Seagate 7200.9 drives, with SPECIAL APPLE FIRMWARE, and it's worth it IMHO to get the 500GB upgrade from Apple.

If you are going to go with an external setup, just get a couple of cheaper drives (Fry's in Dallas has 2 7200.9 series 400GB SATA drives for $99 a piece this weekend)... and hook them up via FW800 in a RAID 0 Case :)

Much more space, MUCH faster, and you can use the entire INTERNAL drive from APPLE as your Windows XP partition :)

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Danksi said:
If it's like the 17-inch and 20-inch, NO. They're sealed units in terms of user-accessibility, assuming you want to keep the Apple Warranty. The only thing you're 'allowed' to upgrade yourself is the Memory, which is accessed via a small cover at the base of the screen.

When my iMac G5 HDD drive died, Apple sent me a new one to install myself. Not sure if it changed, but the HDD and optical drives were user serviceable on the G5 iMacs.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
mrgreen4242 said:
When my iMac G5 HDD drive died, Apple sent me a new one to install myself. Not sure if it changed, but the HDD and optical drives were user serviceable on the G5 iMacs.

While many parts were user-serviceable in the G5 iMacs, Apple unfortunately eliminated most of that in the Intel models. Basically, RAM is the only thing in the Intel iMacs that's do-it-yourself according to Apple.

Alex Duggan

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2004
UK
WildCowboy said:
While many parts were user-serviceable in the G5 iMacs, Apple unfortunately eliminated most of that in the Intel models. Basically, RAM is the only thing in the Intel iMacs that's do-it-yourself according to Apple.

Just to clarify; it was only the Rev. A & B iMac G5's that had the many user serviceable parts - the Rev. C iMac G5 was the same as the newer Intel macs - only the RAM was user serviceable!

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Alex Duggan said:
Just to clarify; it was only the Rev. A & B iMac G5's that had the many user serviceable parts - the Rev. C iMac G5 was the same as the newer Intel macs - only the RAM was user serviceable!

AH - lame. Well, I suppose that you should get a new computer equipped the way you want it... my the time you want/need to upgrade the HDD (beyond just plugging in a FW drive) you're warranty will be up anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.