Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motherduce

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Houston, TX
I recently picked up a used iMac to give to my son for his birthday (today).

I booted it up last night (OS9) and while it seemed to work just fine, there was a very loud and very annoying hum/buzzing sound coming from the machine.

Anybody know what it is or how to fix it? I know it's not normal.

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
could be the fan on the processor or a fan elsewhere in the imac
my powermac did the same thing and all it needed was a little oil on the ball-bearings of the fan on the cpu

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
BornAgainMac said:
Monitor starting to die.

Yeah, a friend has this same machine -- just put more ram in it -- but it makes a lot of noise in general. I thought it was the 10gig hard drive that needs replacing but if its the monitor -- yikes. How do I test that ?

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
The 400mhz iMac has no fans. Technically the only moving part is the hard drive, and that could be making a buzzing sound, although its usually more of a high pitched whine. The only other part that would buzz is the CRT or power supply, and those are usually not repairable. Replacement parts are also expensive.

motherduce

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Houston, TX
DOACleric said:
The 400mhz iMac has no fans. Technically the only moving part is the hard drive, and that could be making a buzzing sound, although its usually more of a high pitched whine. The only other part that would buzz is the CRT or power supply, and those are usually not repairable. Replacement parts are also expensive.

Damn, that sucks. Son's birthday present is locking up on OS9 also. I can move the mouse, but no keyboard commands work, and can't get to any of the menus.

Going to try to load Panther and see what happens.

I'll also be opening it up to make sure everything is secure and cleaned up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.