Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Original poster
iMac Intel Core Duo
---------------------
Dual Core 1.83 (17") or 2.0 GHz (20") Intel
RAM: DDR-2 667 MHz SODIMMs, 2 sockets, max. 2 Gb
- Stock configurations ship with a single 512 or 1 Gb SODIMM, leaving one empty socket (good)
- PC5300 667 MHz DDR-2 RAM is not exchangeable with any prior Mac RAM
- Uses laptop SODIMMs, not DIMMs like last model
- No mention of Dual-channel or 128 bit memory access (which is not surprising, with laptop RAM).
DL Superdrive standard
Airport Extreme and Bluetooth standard
External display supports both spanning and mirroring, up to 1920 x 1200, (higher with analog VGA) does not support 30" dual-link DVI monitors - has a Mini-DVI port (requires adaptor)
International power supply 100V - 240V.
667 MHz system buss
Analog audio input only, analog and optical digital audio output.

No Firewire 800
No Modem -- USB modem optional
Can't go to 2.5 Gb RAM like previous G5 model
Cannot run Classic (OS9) applications
Hard drive and monitors seem to remain the same as prior model.

Notes: Previous iMac G5 models are still on sale, have not dropped in price.

shrhaider

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
Seoul
the only Apple product I own is an iPod. I'm so fed up with PCs that I'm about to buy my first mac, and I'm excited about the new iMac announcement. so sorry if this is a dumb question,

but about upgrading RAM, will the stock 1gb have CL of 4 or 5? I want to buy RAM from Crucial or NewEgg to bump the new system to 2gb but I don't want to buy the wrong kind.

Do people out there have major doubts about buying this iMac's revA? or is it more of just an upgrade of RevC?

thx for any info you can give a newbie.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Mini-DVI now. :D

Now I just need to wait for Rev. B and more games to be released for Intel or get universal binary patches. I like the power but my software needs to catch up. :(

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
shrhaider said:
the only Apple product I own is an iPod. I'm so fed up with PCs that I'm about to buy my first mac, and I'm excited about the new iMac announcement. so sorry if this is a dumb question,

but about upgrading RAM, will the stock 1gb have CL of 4 or 5? I want to buy RAM from Crucial or NewEgg to bump the new system to 2gb but I don't want to buy the wrong kind.

Do people out there have major doubts about buying this iMac's revA? or is it more of just an upgrade of RevC?

thx for any info you can give a newbie.

Crucial have the memory listed already. Just buy in confidence from them - they offer full mac compatability guarantee...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.