Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwlayug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
I'm planning to reformat my imac but my pc's telling me that I can't partition it. Can someone help me fix this issue? Here is the screenshot of my error. Thanks.
5jUOV.png

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
When you erase your Macintosh HD volume, ensure the format is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and the Scheme is set for GUID. It should look similar to the below.

Once that's done, it'll reinstall fine from there.

EDIT: I noticed the Erase tab is greyed out for you. You'll need to:

1) Hold CMD+R on startup to boot into macOS Utilities
2) Select Disk Utility
3) Erase Macintosh HD (don't select Partition, just erase) with the below Format/Scheme
4) Reinstall macOS

If you need to completely wipe your entire drive, BootCamp including, then:

1) hold CMD+ALT+R on startup to boot into Internet Recovery.
2) select the APPLE HDD 1000 instead and completely erase that, again with the below Format/Scheme.
3)Then reinstall MacOS.

Once that's installed, you can set up a new BootCamp partition.

macos-sierra-disk-utility-external-erase.png

jwlayug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
When you erase your Macintosh HD volume, ensure the format is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and the Scheme is set for GUID. It should look similar to the below.

Once that's done, it'll reinstall fine from there.

macos-sierra-disk-utility-external-erase.png
Yes, but the erase and partition button in my mac hdd is unclickable. :(

jwlayug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
I'll try this out. Btw, I don't want to delete my bootcamp. Thanks.
[doublepost=1490274299][/doublepost]
Btw, do I need to prepare a bootable usb drive in reinstalling imac?
Hello, i try your solution but when i delete the hdd, it gives me this error.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 487

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hello, i try your solution but when i delete the hdd, it gives me this error.

That looks like it's booted into a 10.8 or 10.9 recovery partition. Did you do CMD+ALT+R on startup?

If you did, try CMD+R on startup instead and attempt the erase again. If the Macintosh HD volume is greyed out, right-click it, select Unlock, then enter your user password. And then try to erase.

jwlayug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
That looks like it's booted into a 10.8 or 10.9 recovery partition. Did you do CMD+ALT+R on startup?

If you did, try CMD+R on startup instead and attempt the erase again. If the Macintosh HD volume is greyed out, right-click it, select Unlock, then enter your user password. And then try to erase.
Ok, i'll try this. Thank you btw.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

jwlayug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
Both are not working. :(
[doublepost=1490280173][/doublepost]

both are not working :(

jwlayug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
Can you take a photograph? Is it the same error?

I'ts the same at the top img error. Before when my hdd is still fine, i delete something inside disk utility, i forgot it now. After deleting that extra partitions that i forgot, i got this issue :(

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I'ts the same at the top img error. Before when my hdd is still fine, i delete something inside disk utility, i forgot it now. After deleting that extra partitions that i forgot, i got this issue :(

Hmm OK. But you still have your macOS partition right (as in you can boot into the OS)? If so, login and run SMART Utility: https://cloudfront.volitans-software.com/smartutility323.zip

If that passes, that will at least isolate that the problem isn't related to a failing hard-drive.

If you don't have your macOS partition any more, or if it won't boot into it, boot into BootCamp and install HD Tune Pro: http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtunepro_560_trial.exe

Then click the 'Health' tab once installed and check the status at the bottom left. Any warnings or does it show as OK? (note: if you can boot into macOS, you don't need to worry about doing this through Windows)

jwlayug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
Hmm OK. But you still have your macOS partition right (as in you can boot into the OS)? If so, login and run SMART Utility: https://cloudfront.volitans-software.com/smartutility323.zip

If that passes, that will at least isolate that the problem isn't related to a failing hard-drive.

If you don't have your macOS partition any more, or if it won't boot into it, boot into BootCamp and install HD Tune Pro: http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtunepro_560_trial.exe

Then click the 'Health' tab once installed and check the status at the bottom left. Any warnings or does it show as OK? (note: if you can boot into macOS, you don't need to worry about doing this through Windows)
Yes, I can still boot. Thanks, I'll try this one. Hope it works. In any case, Thank you so much.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yes, I can still boot. Thanks, I'll try this one. Hope it works. In any case, Thank you so much.

Hey no worries, we're here to help. There's still a nuclear option to get this fixed but it would mean losing the BootCamp partition. However we'll exhaust the other possibilities first and hopefully a few others can chime in with some ideas too.

jwlayug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
Hey no worries, we're here to help. There's still a nuclear option to get this fixed but it would mean losing the BootCamp partition. However we'll exhaust the other possibilities first and hopefully a few others can chime in with some ideas too.
Thanks, here is the image when i open smart utility.

Thanks, After opening smart utility, I got this result.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 11.00.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 11.00.58 PM.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 276

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks, here is the image when i open smart utility.

Thanks, After opening smart utility, I got this result.

Jolly good, the hard-drive is OK so no worries there. Unsure why there's an EFI partition listed in there, though... that's certainly not right. It shouldn't be visible.

Honestly I think it may be best to go the nuclear option. May I have a second opinion @Weaselboy? Best to completely wipe through Internet Recovery on this occasion and start again, unless you have any other ideas? I'm a little lost. :confused:

Reactions: jwlayug

jwlayug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
Jolly good, the hard-drive is OK so no worries there. Unsure why there's an EFI partition listed in there, though... that's certainly not right. It shouldn't be visible.

Honestly I think it may be best to go the nuclear option. May I have a second opinion @Weaselboy? Best to completely wipe through Internet Recovery on this occasion and start again, unless you have any other ideas? I'm a little lost. :confused:

I'm afraid to use the nuclear option. haha. This error is about half a year already. To be honest, i give up this issue long time ago but I really want to clean my pc and I can't do anything about it. :( Sad Story.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
1. Boot from an external drive or installer USB.

2. Reinitialize internal drive

Problem solved.

jwlayug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
1. Boot from an external drive or installer USB.

2. Reinitialize internal drive

Problem solved.
You mean, I'll install macOsx inside usb drive? How to reinitialize the internal drive? Thanks.
[doublepost=1490284860][/doublepost]I'm installing osx inside my flash drive. Can someone give me the next step?

Attachments

• IMG_0303.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 278
Reactions: komatsu

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I'm installing osx inside my flash drive. Can someone give me the next step?"

From the looks of the pic, you'll have to wait about an hour and 59 minutes...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.