Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pecator

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I finally caved and got a newer iMac. I know I can use it as a monitor. Wondering if I can use the 3T hard drive in it as well. Or should I just gut my beloved old pooter? I would be risking it to open the old thing as the connectors were pretty feeble and one broke six years back when I put in the hard drive. So, use it as a monitor and leave the hard drive? Take my pull the hard drive and use it as external?

Thanks!

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I finally caved and got a newer iMac. I know I can use it as a monitor. Wondering if I can use the 3T hard drive in it as well. Or should I just gut my beloved old pooter? I would be risking it to open the old thing as the connectors were pretty feeble and one broke six years back when I put in the hard drive. So, use it as a monitor and leave the hard drive? Take my pull the hard drive and use it as external?

Thanks!

If you can still boot into it, you can use it as:
1. External Monitor (Target Display Mode) => require miniDisplayPort cable or adapter
2. External Disk (Target Disk Mode) => Require Firewire cable
3. Network Attached Storage (Just share the drive) => require LAN cable.

1&3 works simustaneously. Don't know about 2.

Reactions: Pecator

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
Target disk mode doesn't work at the same time as target display mode.

I like @Nguyen Duc Hieu 's idea of 1+3. Connect the two iMacs via both Ethernet and a USB-C/minidisplayport cable (Startech makes one), and you'll be able to share both the screen and the 3TB drive. Over gigabit ethernet transfer speeds will be pretty good too.

Pecator

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hey Thanks for that. I didn't know about Startech. I will be using that place quite a bit. So, I figured out what you were talking about with my friends iMac. My computer isn't coming till later this week.

Of course, once I jumped on Youtube to figure out upgrades, my fickle self discovered the fun of upgrading an old Mac Pro. I canceled the iMac and picked up a 5,1 with dual processors.

I have different questions about using this as a monitor, but I will put them in the proper forum.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hey Thanks for that. I didn't know about Startech. I will be using that place quite a bit. So, I figured out what you were talking about with my friends iMac. My computer isn't coming till later this week.

Of course, once I jumped on Youtube to figure out upgrades, my fickle self discovered the fun of upgrading an old Mac Pro. I canceled the iMac and picked up a 5,1 with dual processors.

I have different questions about using this as a monitor, but I will put them in the proper forum.

I am using my iMac 2010 as the monitor for my Mac Pro 2,1.
It's a no brainer. Nothing to struggle about.
Just plug-in the DisplayPort to MiniDisplayPort cable, and the image will show up.
No brightness control and no sounds on the iMac, though. The problem is with my video card, I guess.
As the sound was delivered well through the displayport cable when I used a Windows machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.