Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

holztiger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2024
Hi there,

still using an iMac Late 2012 27“ i7 with 32GB RAM, 1.1TB Fusion Drive and GTX680 2GB GPU with latest supported OS Catalina.

Since a few weeks I noticed random freezes and restarts so OS.
Using 3 external USB 3.0 á 1TB SSD devices (2x SanDisk extreme und 1x NVME) on unpowered hub and on one of them is opencore legacy patcher with Sonoma installed. Booting from there facing the same symptoms @ Sonoma.

Now I have read about power supply issues with the iMac pins. I noticed some black oxidation’s at the edge of the pins. So unplugged and cleaned them blank and drilled the power plug 180° but symptoms remain.
What I noticed unplugging the USB 3.0 hub with all 3 SSD seem to fix the issue, system runs stable for now…

Is this an internal power supply issue or maybe software related eg. due to indexing of huge amount of files on ext. drives?
Or has the iMac finally reached his end? I do not want to spend a lot of money for repair. Maybe if it is an easy fixable error by changing parts diy I cloud imagine also swapping the HD for an SSD but opening the iMac like on ifixit seems to be tricky and time consuming. Also have some dusty corners behind the display glas over the years.
As secondary family Mac this iMac cloud go for another years, maybe…
Do the error reports help in this regard?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.