Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2017
iMac 27 late 2013, A1419, EMC 2639

A SSD 500GB is this iMac only internal and boot/system drive
since Apple factory populated this iMac with ordered mass storage
during latter one's manufacturing 2014. This iMac was
ordered 2014 to have 500GB SSD as system and the only drive.
iMac is hosting Catalina currently.
Furthermore, the current disk partitioning and file system volume
composition has the form as of time being as it has been made by the Catalina install
procedure (an update from macOS version with HFS+ as the native file system) -
this means neither the user nor administrator interfered with
partitions, volumes, others as far as it concerns this SSD.
This drive has never had Bootcamp.

iMac is going to get renewal of its internal system drive.
Renewal SSD is going to be 1TB.
The question is if I reach out my retailers to look around for replacement options
and I take some PCIe 2.0, or 3.0, eventually 4.0 offer of my choice
how are the odds to not run in the end onto troubles due to compatibility issues?
E.g. WD SN750.
I want to search not only for PCIe 2.0 also for 3.0, eventually also across 4.0
to shorten the time of the search.

Question 2
Since the year of this iMac purchase CCC and USB 3.0 PCIe NVMe
external enclosure are in use for backups and cloning, user data as well as the system.
While one day in the process of internal system SSD renewal I wonder
which hardware additionally will me need to transfer the system
from current SSD to the new one. All other desktop devices available
are of other brands than Apple. Any idea, proposals?

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
The question is if I reach out my retailers to look around for replacement options
and I take some PCIe 2.0, or 3.0, eventually 4.0 offer of my choice
how are the odds to not run in the end onto troubles due to compatibility issues?
Purchase from a retailer which specializes in Mac hardware to limit compatibility issues. This will work in your iMac.
While one day in the process of internal system SSD renewal I wonder
which hardware additionally will me need to transfer the system
from current SSD to the new one. All other desktop devices available
are of other brands than Apple. Any idea, proposals?
  1. I performed the same upgrade on several 2011 27" iMacs some years ago. Used external USB drive for latest Time Machine backup.
  2. Created macOS Catalina USB installer media on a 32GB memory stick/thumb drive.
  3. Opened iMac and replaced the internal storage.
  4. Booted from macOS USB installer thumb drive.
  5. Formatted the newly replaced internal storage as APFS.
  6. Installed macOS onto internal storage.
  7. On reboot, setup will ask if you want to migrate data from an existing Mac. Attach external USB drive and select Time Machine backup.
  8. Setup will migrate data.
Could not have been easier.

Arak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2017
Purchase from a retailer which specializes in Mac hardware to limit compatibility issues. This will work in your iMac.

1. I performed the same upgrade on several 2011 27" iMacs some years ago. Used external USB drive for latest Time Machine backup.
  2. Created macOS Catalina USB installer media on a 32GB memory stick/thumb drive.
  3. Opened iMac and replaced the internal storage.
  4. Booted from macOS USB installer thumb drive.
  5. Formatted the newly replaced internal storage as APFS.
  6. Installed macOS onto internal storage.
  7. On reboot, setup will ask if you want to migrate data from an existing Mac. Attach external USB drive and select Time Machine backup.
  8. Setup will migrate data.
Could not have been easier.
Thanks for information and hints.
Yes, I had Aura Pro X2 offers on my desk today. In the end I went in distance with those because almost all these retailers reachable in my region list only few MBA/MBP, MacPro models in this SSD compatibility list.
Do you mean Aura Pro X2 proved in your experience to work fine in iMacs too, and for iMac late 2013 the chances are good? Do these setups show also satisfying durability?

How much are losses on user-data, system and apps customization when one uses T.M. to migrate to new setup? I ask this question from perspective of my own experiences. Those however cover only updating system to higher major version number. I didn't complete lot of such updates but those made resulted always in losses of UX, means use histories get lost (e.g. Finder, connected network shares, Safari favorites, and so on) which annoys every time it happens - productivity suffers.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Do you mean Aura Pro X2 proved in your experience to work fine in iMacs too, and for iMac late 2013 the chances are good? Do these setups show also satisfying durability?
Yes. Quality products.
How much are losses on user-data, system and apps customization when one uses T.M. to migrate to new setup?
I've never had an issue migrating user data between systems or to newly installed internal storage from a backup in over 15 years of using Time Machine across my own, my family, or my business Macs.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Question 2:

If the following conditions are met, you can just use Disk Utility to restore the internal 500GB SSD to the external USB nVME enclosure which holding new 1TB nVME.
1. You want to use your iMac right away with the new drive, same OS, same applications, same settings, same everything.
2. All of your data is on the 500GB internal drive.
3. You can endure the cloning process, which might take about 4,5 hours (mostly because of the read/write verification process) without any progress bar moving.... (it took me 2 hours to clone just a 256GB drive, drive read/writing speed is non-relevant here.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.