Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCBUS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2018
Hello,
I have the below system that all of a sudden will not boot and shuts down. Looks like it is getting stuck at fsck_hfs (version hfs-305.10.1), please see images. I also can not get the system to boot into diagnostic (cmd-r) to erase and restore. I was able to get it to the boot manager (see image) and was able to boot into the Windows drive, so it must be failing at the Mac software. Any suggestions how I can just get to the disc utility so I can erase and install OS software again. Thank you

IMG_5666.JPG

Here are the images I was able to pull from the loading screen using cmd-v.
IMG_5667.JPG

Capture.PNG

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That (fsck_hfs) is the hard drive test. Your Mac always runs that test at boot, takes a certain amount of time, then tries again. If it takes too long (I think the firmware will try 3 times), then you either will get an error (maybe a flashing folder, indicating that the Mac system cannot be found), or the Mac just shuts off. Reformatting/reinstalling is unlikely to help when it will often be a hardware failure in the drive.

So, that should tell you that a reinstall on a failing hard drive will not be worth the attempt.
You should consider replacing the hard drive (particularly if it is the original hard drive -- more than 13 years old). An SSD will be a great choice. And, you will have a boot drive that you can trust to work now.

DCBUS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2018
Hello,
I appreciate the reply, but a failing drive allow me to log into the Windows drive. Should that also not fail.

Even though the above error, should I not still be able to hold down the Option key to boot into the drive boot screen.

Thank you

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes - and you did show in your first screenshot that you can get to the Option boot screen.
That is your firmware displaying systems that probably can be bootable on your Mac.
And, unfortunately, that does not mean that a boot drive is any good - only that the option-boot senses that there are bootable partitions.
And, some bootable partitions may work, such as your Windows partition. You don't have any way to know if even the Windows partition will work the next time you try it. It's on a separate partition, so that may remain workable, with intact boot blocks for the Windows system
And, it probably won't hurt anything to boot to an external bootable installer (for High Sierra, correct?) and reinstall High Sierra. If the hardware is near failing, the install will likely fail, too...
Or, the installer might correct whatever condition is preventing boot, and get your system working again.
But, then, it may fail
Again, if this is the original hard drive, and some parts are starting to fail, you may want to make sure you have good backup of the drive (including the Windows partition) - if you have files on either one that are important to you, you should make the effort to save those files while you can.

You can then replace the hard drive with a new SSD, install High Sierra, then restore your Windows partition, then finally discover that your iMac, even though 13 years old, can be fast again (the SSD will make a noticeable difference on both your Mac system, and Windows, too.)

Reactions: Blaine
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.