Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tyyper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
Hello, I am using iMac early 2008 and I have been facing this issue a lot recently. My computer won’t start and after it does it won’t take me to password page however, it would start and function normally after a couple of restarts. But today it isn’t working, this issue has been happening for almost 2 months week after week. What can be the solution to this? Any common problems that can cause this?? I have attached a photo of it

Attachments

• C574F6BC-3D03-4BE6-9AE1-51141008F1A5.jpeg
    C574F6BC-3D03-4BE6-9AE1-51141008F1A5.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 90

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Hello, I am using iMac early 2008 and I have been facing this issue a lot recently. My computer won’t start and after it does it won’t take me to password page however, it would start and function normally after a couple of restarts. But today it isn’t working, this issue has been happening for almost 2 months week after week. What can be the solution to this? Any common problems that can cause this?? I have attached a photo of it
that is the hard drive failure, just replace the hard drive.
reinstall snow leopard OSX or Time Machine from a back up we made earlier
by pressing the "option key" after the lovely chime and before the logo appears
and will be all set to go!

aint these Macs great computers to have?

Reactions: Kevin Lasko

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If the drive has failed, it's not worth fixing on a now-15-year-old Mac.

You COULD buy an external USB drive, and boot and run from that, but a 2008 iMac only has USB2, so it's not going to be fast at all.

You got 14+ years of use from the old one.
Probably time to start shopping for a replacement.
Either new, Apple-refurbished, or even used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.