Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
iMac m1 16Gb or m3 8Gb? Not sure how much faster m3 is in day to day over m1.

I know the RAM is better for future proofing, letting the iMac “breath” and ability to have more apps or tabs open etc.

This is for a “normal” use of all Apple apps, basic photo and video editing using Apple apps and Pixelmator, internet, word/excel. Basically nothing too demanding but would love in future to use it for more tasks that maybe are more demanding.

Reactions: Andrey84

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
I would probably take the M1/16 GB option myself. I have a M1 16GB was well as a M2 Pro Mini and the day to day difference for general productivity is not really noticeable. Not sure about a M1 to M3 but the M3 in some benchmarks is not much better than the M2 Pro.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Obviously 16Gb is better, but wonder if the newer m3 architecture was better. I also think it’s about time either 16Gb was standard, or at least don’t charge ridiculous prices for an extra 8Gb.

Is there any good articles about comparisons?

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
Obviously 16Gb is better, but wonder if the newer m3 architecture was better. I also think it’s about time either 16Gb was standard, or at least don’t charge ridiculous prices for an extra 8Gb.

Only anecdotal evidence here but I went from a M1 Pro MacBook Pro 16" 16 GB RAM to an iMac M3 24 GB RAM and thanks to the 30%+ improvement in single core performance between the two application launching, switching etc. is noticeably faster on the M3.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
iMac m1 16Gb or m3 8Gb?
Is the M1 from the Apple Refurb store?

IMO, and others do not agree with this, but I do not find the idea of "future proofing" very attractive.

You also did not indicate if you are buying an SSD upgrade or not, or if you are going to have to buy an external SSD, etc.

At the end of the day I'll almost always choose the newest model. And even if one does not have a business for which said computer is bought, still amortize (in your mind if not on your taxes) a desktop computer over 60 months. That will get you a per-month cost. Then buy a new computer after those 60 months if the old one is no longer working for you.

Reactions: Burnincoco

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Personally, I'd pay the extra coin for M3 with 16GB.

However, if I was forced at gunpoint between the two options, I'd pick M1 with 16GB.

Apple Silicon is so fast that RAM is going to be a limiting factor long before the chip itself is.

Is the M1 from the Apple Refurb store?

IMO, and others do not agree with this, but I do not find the idea of "future proofing" very attractive.

You also did not indicate if you are buying an SSD upgrade or not, or if you are going to have to buy an external SSD, etc.

At the end of the day I'll almost always choose the newest model. And even if one does not have a business for which said computer is bought, still amortize (in your mind if not on your taxes) a desktop computer over 60 months. That will get you a per-month cost. Then buy a new computer after those 60 months if the old one is no longer working for you.
For me, it's not about future proofing so much as it is getting what I want. Even if the M3 with 8GB is sufficient, it's going to nag me and give me buyers remorse if I don't get at least 16GB.

Again, the M1 chip is going to be plenty fast enough for their use case. Potentially lacking RAM is easily going to be a bigger hindrance than it the chip itself being slower than M3.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
You want less memory than the 8GB we get now? Don't give Apple any ideas.

16Gb (gigabit) = 2GB (gigabyte)

Gb = gigabit
GB=gigabyte

But to answer your question, I'd take the M1 with 16GB

Last edited:

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014

Don't fall for the "8gb of ram on macOS is the equivalent of 16gb on Windows" all modern operating systems use memory compression not just Apple. What most 8gb mac owners don't see is their SSDs being overused for memory swap wearing it out faster.

Andrey84

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Greater London, United Kingdom
Quite a painful choice you've got!

The Mac OS support for M1 iMac is going end 2 years earlier compared to the M3 iMac. With the current new OS support window of 6 years, it's going to be 2027 for M1 vs 2029 for M3. Might be 2028/2030. So, all the future-proofing with the M1 16GB goes out of the window.

I'd recommend really focusing on saving money for several months and getting the M3 16GB. Even if the difference is $500, I personally think it's worth it to get 2 more years out of the machine.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
When I bought my old MacBook Air 2017, I only put in 8gb RAM and 512GB Drive. Simply because I would only use it when I traveled for light work. Minor photo editing and basic business use. I didn't buy it to edit GB of video or edit videos shot and sent to me. I watch and review them. Now if you want to do more than that then 16-24 is wha you should get. I forgot I think it was only available 8gb RAM?

Last edited:

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Wouldn’t it be funny if this thing existed today to double your 8GB ram? This thing actually worked wonders back then. I know cause I and a bunch of us were using it at work and home Macs.

I mean today systems us excellent VM use but you can have an app the shows you have 16gb ram on about this Mac screen. lol

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Wouldn’t it be funny if this thing existed today to double your 8GB ram? This thing actually worked wonders back then. I know cause I and a bunch of us were using it at work and home Macs.
It is funny. This is exactly what modern operating systems like macOS do w/ memory -- compress, page, swap, etc.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I wouldn't buy a new computer in 2024 with 8 GB RAM, if I cannot upgrade it myself.

Agree should be standard no matter what Apple tries to market. So you’d go m1 16Gb?

With the speed of today’s SSD’s most people would not notice the swapping process.
They do help definitely, but obviously we’re more imagine if having to swap a lot. Apple took an age also to go all SSD as well frustratedly.

Mr.Fox

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2020
iMac m1 16Gb or m3 8Gb? Not sure how much faster m3 is in day to day over m1.

I know the RAM is better for future proofing, letting the iMac “breath” and ability to have more apps or tabs open etc.

This is for a “normal” use of all Apple apps, basic photo and video editing using Apple apps and Pixelmator, internet, word/excel. Basically nothing too demanding but would love in future to use it for more tasks that maybe are more demanding.
M 3 /16-24Gb RAM - for growth and taking into account if you need to run resource-intensive programs

Reactions: Andrey84
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.