Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doscore

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2020
Hello folks!, so I just purchased my first iMac 24' silver and its just like any other Mac unboxing experience although, I have loved my m1 MBA since they came out so I have basically upgraded my 27" 2009 desktop (k3100m upgrade) to some more modern hardware as this great 27" is getting on a bit ya know.. much like my g5's lol.

the issue:
so anyway 4 weeks later im starting to see a few weird things happening with this system.

I currently use a Bonelk 7 in 1 multipart hub

It functions perfectly on my m1 MBA and MBP but on my iMac it starts to trip the computer a bit having an external monitor. quite often the system will become completely unresponcive to apps and programs being displayed on the external monitor and when you try to force close these apps you just get a "bing". you can't move anything or do anything on that screen but a video will keep playing on there fine..hmm (you can select the window and even click on a text field and you will see the cursor waiting for input but when you type it bing!!z)

I tried another generic hub from Ali-e and I got the same results. this is the 2 port thunderbolt version. the ports work fine for transferring files etc and other devices from the hubs work fine also.. so who knows? but on my other m1 laptops they were fine.

.... now on the subject of my usb-c to DisplayPort for my apple Cinema Display sometimes the screen doesnt come on or do anything and I know this works fine because my laptops use it etc.. so It just seems like it doesnt want a second monitor..

ive tried cables, screens... etc.

any ideas or thoughts welcome :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.