Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lookeegg4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2021
Within the next two/three months I am going to need to upgrade from my 21.5 inch late 2013 iMac. I work with stock photography and video and use my iMac for editing photography and now some 4k video too (mostly I do selection and organising, editing metadata, resizing submissions of images).

Will an iMac M1 (8 core CPU and 8 core GPU) with 16gb RAM be okay for me for 7-8 years? My current iMac is an Intel i5, 8gb RAM and with a dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1024 MB graphics card. It can handle the video work as well as the photo work but I feel is running at capacity sometimes and the newer OS systems won't run on it anymore.

So, M1 iMac, Mac Studio + monitor (expensive) or an M2 iMac (if it might be released in the next two months)?

Not sure what to do. Any help and advice you all can offer will be greatly appreciated...

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Depends what do [lan to do with the Mac, soft, make documents only? Sure that 8 gig is up to that job! If you plan audio/video and user your Mac to make money go with the 16g version instead!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.