Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
I just picked up a new aluminum MacBook. I also have an iMac. Is there a way to make everything the same on both systems? If I change or add a file to one it will do the same on the other. Basically keeping them in sync. I do have mobile me if that helps.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you have MobileMe, anything you put in your iDisk will be the same on any computer you access the iDisk from.

You also might want to check out ChronoSync. It's a third-party tool that's typically recommended in discussions like this. Takes a little bit to get setup, but it's fairly powerful and can keep everything in sync.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
If you have MobileMe, anything you put in your iDisk will be the same on any computer you access the iDisk from.

You also might want to check out ChronoSync. It's a third-party tool that's typically recommended in discussions like this. Takes a little bit to get setup, but it's fairly powerful and can keep everything in sync.

I only have 10gb of storage on iDisk.

I'll look into ChronoSync.

Thanks.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
ChronoSync is $30. Does anyone know of a software that does the same thing for free and is just a reliable?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
ChronoSync is $30. Does anyone know of a software that does the same thing for free and is just a reliable?

ChronoSync is just a GUI version of the rysnc command line tool. Learn how to use the Terminal and rysnc or pay the $30.

Also, Microsoft's Live Mesh will keep designated folders in sync between both Macs and PCs. It's free, for now. http://www.mesh.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.