Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aland2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2020
iMac mid 2007 running El Capitan. When you try to boot in normal mode, the progress bar gets about half way across, and then the screen goes blank. It will boot into Recovery mode, and into Safe mode, but is very slow in Safe mode.

Run Disk Utility multiple times and it says there is nothing wrong with the disk. Re-installed El Capitan from download, reset NVRAM, still no joy.

Customer did not have recent backup, but managed to copy user folder, and then restored from Time Machine backup from 2018. Still problems booting.

There are multiple logs in /Library/Logs pointing to a problem with Windowserver, and looking at /var/log/system.log there are a lot of lines after GPU debug info.

Any ideas? I can't get Hardware Diagnostics to start either with D or Option+D.

Booting with Command+V to get log files shows it getting as far as networking, and then swaps to a blank gray screen

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
iMac mid 2007 running El Capitan. When you try to boot in normal mode, the progress bar gets about half way across, and then the screen goes blank. It will boot into Recovery mode, and into Safe mode, but is very slow in Safe mode.

Run Disk Utility multiple times and it says there is nothing wrong with the disk. Re-installed El Capitan from download, reset NVRAM, still no joy.

Customer did not have recent backup, but managed to copy user folder, and then restored from Time Machine backup from 2018. Still problems booting.

There are multiple logs in /Library/Logs pointing to a problem with Windowserver, and looking at /var/log/system.log there are a lot of lines after GPU debug info.

Any ideas? I can't get Hardware Diagnostics to start either with D or Option+D.

Booting with Command+V to get log files shows it getting as far as networking, and then swaps to a blank gray screen
I'd try to do a clean install of El Capitan to an external usb drive and start the diagnostic from there. Maybe some fixes became corrupted. If it boots without problems from the external disk, reinstall El Capitan over the macOS in the internal disk. It doesn't erase programs or files but will restore the operating system to the original state

billymann

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2020
I'd try to do a clean install of El Capitan to an external usb drive and start the diagnostic from there. Maybe some fixes became corrupted. If it boots without problems from the external disk, reinstall El Capitan over the macOS in the internal disk. It doesn't erase programs or files but will restore the operating system to the original state
Thanks guys. It was helpful

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.