Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bacchinif

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2019
Hi everyone, I'm Francesco from Italy. I currently own an iMac 21'' Mid 2010 equipped with 16 GB of RAM (Crucial) and a double-hard drive configuration (SSD + 1 HDD). The machine works fine, but I'm still stuck on Mac Os 10.13.6 (High Sierra).

I use very frequently Pages, Numbers and Keynote and often rely also on the "collaborate" function. Just few days ago Apple released an "incompatible" update for me that won't let me use that function anymore (the apps won't connect to iCloud anymore).

I was wondering if installing Catalina (using one of the various tools available online) could have been a workaround.

Regards
Francesco

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
I don’t think I’d even bother if your machine is running properly. High Sierra is going to be around for at least another year with updates. If you don’t need the functionality of what’s in the incompatible update, then I wouldn’t worry about that either.

Every newer proprietary operating system is going to require more resources than the earlier one. Doesn’t matter where it comes from. Your 2010 system is going to work best with Sierra or High Sierra in my personal experience. I used to have a 2009 Core 2 Duo 17 inch MacBook Pro and that’s what I found.

Reactions: Bacchinif

Bacchinif

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2019
I don’t think I’d even bother if your machine is running properly. High Sierra is going to be around for at least another year with updates. If you don’t need the functionality of what’s in the incompatible update, then I wouldn’t worry about that either.

Every newer proprietary operating system is going to require more resources than the earlier one. Doesn’t matter where it comes from. Your 2010 system is going to work best with Sierra or High Sierra in my personal experience. I used to have a 2009 Core 2 Duo 17 inch MacBook Pro and that’s what I found.

Thanks for your reply. My machine is pretty quick and responsive thanks to the upgrades I did.
Unfortunately my GPU Card won't support Catalina...

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Hi everyone, I'm Francesco from Italy. I currently own an iMac 21'' Mid 2010 equipped with 16 GB of RAM (Crucial) and a double-hard drive configuration (SSD + 1 HDD). The machine works fine, but I'm still stuck on Mac Os 10.13.6 (High Sierra).

I use very frequently Pages, Numbers and Keynote and often rely also on the "collaborate" function. Just few days ago Apple released an "incompatible" update for me that won't let me use that function anymore (the apps won't connect to iCloud anymore).
Try downloading the full 10.13.6 installer from the App Store and install on top of your current 10.13.6 installation. As always, make sure you have a recent back up before performing any OS installation.

Bacchinif

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2019
Try downloading the full 10.13.6 installer from the App Store and install on top of your current 10.13.6 installation. As always, make sure you have a recent back up before performing any OS installation.

Why are you suggesting that? It seems a pretty strange workaround to me

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Why are you suggesting that? It seems a pretty strange workaround to me
Re-running the full High Sierra installer can restore corrupted or missing files. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it does not help. It has helped me in the past to fix OS problems.

Fried egg on toast

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2019
Re-running the full High Sierra installer can restore corrupted or missing files. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it does not help. It has helped me in the past to fix OS problems.
I don’t think the OP has a problem with corrupt or missing files, but with their iMac’s basic apps like Reminders etc no longer syncing with their iPhone’s. (I have same problem, 2010 iMac with iPhone 11)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"My machine is pretty quick and responsive thanks to the upgrades I did.
Unfortunately my GPU Card won't support Catalina..."

Then just... stay where you are.

There comes a time with every Mac where one just has to "step off the upgrade train" and remain with "what works". And let things go at that.

I have no problems with doing that. NONE.

If what you have on the old iMac is running and running good... just "let it be".

Your next "upgrade"... should be to a new (or newER) Mac..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.