Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoelN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2020
hello all!

I recently (finally... :) ) could buy an Imac in very good shape. I’m very glad with it. I upgraded the iMac and the specs are now as follows:
  • 27inch
  • I7
  • High Sierra
  • 250 GB SSD
  • 1 TB HD
  • 1GB videokaart
  • 8 GB Ram
The iMac runs grate…however my bike trainer does not connect with the BT device (2.0) in the iMac. I need BT 4.0.

I read several articles and work arounds to get an extern USB BT 4.0 dongle working. After reading carefully (I think / thought) I bought this dongle:

https://www.belkin.com/nl/p/P-F8T065/

On several sites I found remarks from iMac users that this dongle would work with Apple.

I installed the Bluetooth explorer tool and managed to select the extern BT device (in stead of the build in BT adapter) and that works:

BT 4.0 plaatje 2.png

However, I can not pair with BT devices like my mouse and keyboard. Further, the bike trainer (which connects via BT and uses 4.0 (or ANT+)) is not even found. So it looks like met BT 4.0 dongle is detected but does not work:

BT 4.0 plaatje 1.png

Could anybody please advice me and help me how to solve this issue? It would be very much appreciated….

Many thanks and please give me some response and help...many many thanks

Regards

Roel

USB3foriMac

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2020
Singapore
Your Belkin does not say it is Mac compatible. Likely it isn't. Mac is selective with which hardware it works with.

You find a lot of valuable resources when you compare iMac with the Mac Pro, or even other older MacBooks.
I found this thread here mentioning a lot of resources, and in the comments section, you also find people who had success with iMac.

It seems a good one to choose is this one: Avantree DG40S (see comments section of above link)

Alternatively, at least choose a Bluetooth dongle where the manufacturer claims it is MacOS compliant. Without this, there is far less chance to get it working.

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
If you do not mind to open the iMac and solder some cables then take a look at the thread and this post...

I just use my old iPad to work with my indoor bike trainer (Tacx Neo).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.