Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylergib

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2018
I have an iMac mid 2011 21.5 inch and my GPU has been having issues. If i turn it off and then take the screws out of the display. Then I tilt the display up about an inch and turn it on, the graphics card works and then i can lay the display down. It works fine until i turn it off and then the graphics card does not turn on. It will work like that for about 2 weeks, but after that the graphics card will not turn on at all. Then if i take it completely apart and remove the thermal paste on the graphics card and then apply new thermal paste and put it back together, it will work fine for about a week or so and then i have to do the tilting thing and then i have to reapply the paste. I have tried just reseating the graphics card and not reapplying the thermal paste, but it does the same thing until i reapply the paste.

Also, the reason i know the graphics card is not turning on, or i guess being recognized is the first two LED lights on logic board turn on, but the third and fourth do not. once i tilt the display the third turns on and i know i can let the display lay down, and then once i reapply the paste i can restart it as much as i want and all LED lights come on.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated, im not sure if i am not applying enough thermal paste (ive been using about the size of a grain of rice), but the iMac does not seem to be getting hot.

Reactions: Manoverboard1224
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.