Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I don't mean to sound rude, but it seems this exact question is asked at least once a week. Use the Search function, people!

Thank you. :)

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
My rev. b 17" G5 iMac works great spanning across a 19" LCD on its VGA port. It's a good clean signal at 1280x1024, can't tell it's not DVI.

I even have the 19" set to the primary display. No problems whatsoever, and cheaper together than a 20" iMac by itself.

-vga4life

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I might as well ask this question here:

I have a 17" iMac (see sig). How is the internal monitor connected, VGA, DVI, or none of the above? I just want to know how the quality compares to a VGA or DVI.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
vga4life said:
My rev. b 17" G5 iMac works great spanning across a 19" LCD on its VGA port. It's a good clean signal at 1280x1024, can't tell it's not DVI.

I had the same setup for a week or two, but then sold my 19" (1280x1024) LCD monitor last week - it was a freebie so wasn't a differcult choice to make.

I found that the non-widescreen, lower resolution, together with the larger size of the external monitor made it look pretty naff.

I may go for a widescreen, something like the Dell 2005FPW, assuming the spanning doctor can handle it :)

.. though I'd prefer to put the money towards a 12" iBook for portability. :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'm waiting for a coupon rush so I can get a Dell 20.1" Widescreen. The last time there was a good one they were at $394 + $2.60 shipping. I've never noticed any difference between VGA and DVI. Of course I'd rather have DVI. It'll be nice to have a monitor ready for my next my and the extra screen space for my current iMac.

Tattoo

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2005
Miami, Florida
Plasma Screen

How in the world do you even begin to hook up another monitor to the iMac? I just looked at that back and I dont see ANY port to add an external Monitor! I dont care if it just mirrors - I will put the iMac under my desk and just use a 30" Plasma Screen instead - Any ideas??

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Tattoo said:
How in the world do you even begin to hook up another monitor to the iMac? I just looked at that back and I dont see ANY port to add an external Monitor! I dont care if it just mirrors - I will put the iMac under my desk and just use a 30" Plasma Screen instead - Any ideas??

There is a mini VGA pulg at the back...then pick up the mini VGA -> VGA adaptor then run the doctor and enjoy two displays or simply just hoock up and enjoy ;)

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Platform said:
Has anyone done it with the rev C:confused:

Dual heads on a Rev.C iMac you mean?

Yes, I have.

Although, I as mentioned in my previous post above, I've since sold the external monitor (freebie) and made full use of Expose :rolleyes:

I'd consider having dual-heads again with either a 19inch CRT (1600x1200) or 20" widescreen (1680x1050).

My pic from another thread
attachment.php

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Tattoo said:

You need this

mhackney

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2005
iMac DV external monitor only

Hi all, My iMac DV (smoke) has been having intermittent startup problems for a few months. At first I thought it was the ROM - Mac OSX issue folks have reported but that turned out not to be the problem. What usually happens is the boot happens up to the monitor showing an image and then I get either a flash down the middle of the crt and the computer ***** down or I see the apple boot sceen but very jagged and faded and then a shutdown. I am pretty sure it is a flyback transformer issue. So, what I would like to do is hook up an external monitor to test this theory and/or make it possible to use the iMac (kids computer). So the qustion is, when you hook up an external monitor, does it disable the internal CRT? and if not, how do I do that?

thanks,
Michael

Ottawa Zeek

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2006
Sorry for asking again.

I just want to get a clear and simple and if anyone can take the time to answer me clearly on how to proceed I would greatly appreciate it.

Ok I have a iMac G5 (non intel) 2Ghz 17" - I'm considering buying a 42" Plasma LG screen to hook up to it -

Now from what I understand I can have it span on both screens rather than miror it right? with the right software I would imagine...

OK ideally I would love to have it span to make one my primary with the dock on it and the other just as extra real estate.

So #1 what do I need to conect my iMac to the Plasma screen ? what cables ? and are there extensions for the cable in question ?

# 2 What software is required and is it simple enought to setup?

# 3 Can I make the 42" plasma screen the primary display and use the iMacs display as secondary ?

long story short I want to put my iMac at one end of the room and have it hooked up with my new 42" plasma screen - I want the plasma screen to be the primary screen. What do I need, how do I do it and is it going to be something really complicated ?

Thanks for any help everyone!

Thanks.

kyleaa

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2006
Yes to the spanning, you would need the apple Mini-VGA to VGA adapter, and a VGA cable (I think you can get VGA cables in reasonably long lengths, but the signal does degrade so you can't go exorbatant distances with it).
However, VGA only supports up to a certain resolution, I think you would be vastly underusing the capabilities of a screen that size. I looked on the LG site, and if you are refering to one of the plasma TVs, the ones i looked at do not have any sort of computer inputs. In this case, you would need a Mini-VGA to S-Video adapter and an S-Video cable, but you should not be expecting anything amazing from the display, as S-Video is not meant to carry the precision that computer monitors have.

Ottawa Zeek said:
I just want to get a clear and simple and if anyone can take the time to answer me clearly on how to proceed I would greatly appreciate it.

Ok I have a iMac G5 (non intel) 2Ghz 17" - I'm considering buying a 42" Plasma LG screen to hook up to it -

Now from what I understand I can have it span on both screens rather than miror it right? with the right software I would imagine...

OK ideally I would love to have it span to make one my primary with the dock on it and the other just as extra real estate.

So #1 what do I need to conect my iMac to the Plasma screen ? what cables ? and are there extensions for the cable in question ?

# 2 What software is required and is it simple enought to setup?

# 3 Can I make the 42" plasma screen the primary display and use the iMacs display as secondary ?

long story short I want to put my iMac at one end of the room and have it hooked up with my new 42" plasma screen - I want the plasma screen to be the primary screen. What do I need, how do I do it and is it going to be something really complicated ?

Thanks for any help everyone!

Thanks.

Ottawa Zeek

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2006
Thanks for the quick reply!

kyleaa said:
Yes to the spanning, you would need the apple Mini-VGA to VGA adapter, and a VGA cable (I think you can get VGA cables in reasonably long lengths, but the signal does degrade so you can't go exorbatant distances with it).
However, VGA only supports up to a certain resolution, I think you would be vastly underusing the capabilities of a screen that size. I looked on the LG site, and if you are refering to one of the plasma TVs, the ones i looked at do not have any sort of computer inputs. In this case, you would need a Mini-VGA to S-Video adapter and an S-Video cable, but you should not be expecting anything amazing from the display, as S-Video is not meant to carry the precision that computer monitors have.

Thanks for the reply, I was just wondering what I could do get a better quality? I've been doing some research online and came accross this :

http://hometheatermac.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0

and that's more or less what I'm aiming for, the quality seems pretty good to me. Any suggestions ?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
EricNau said:
I might as well ask this question here:

I have a 17" iMac (see sig). How is the internal monitor connected, VGA, DVI, or none of the above? I just want to know how the quality compares to a VGA or DVI.

Some sort of LVDS using a (porbably) custom connector. It's basically the same quality as DVI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.