Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I have been waiting for the iMacs to be updated before I buy my next system. This has given me time to ponder the option of a G5 system. For given budget, I have narrowed my choices to an iMac system with a few extras or a G5 system with the basics. I would like for you folks to give me some opinons on which to choose.

Option 1: iMac 17" BTO loaded, 15 GB iPod, iSight
Option 2: G5 1.8 with ATI 9600, 17" Apple Display.

If I go with Option 1, I intend to pass the iMac to my kids in a year or two.

If I go with Option 2, The kids will be SOL for a few years.

Any thoughts?

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
It depends on what you need the Mac for...it seems that the G5 is overkill for non-pro users. What do you plan to use it for?

Plus there is always David Pogue's rule: never buy version 1 of new hardware...

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
is there any reason you've eliminated G4 PM from consideration?

if you are considering iMac vs. G5, G4 PM sounds like a perfect compliment to me...

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by jxyama
is there any reason you've eliminated G4 PM from consideration?

if you are considering iMac vs. G5, G4 PM sounds like a perfect compliment to me...

My reason for th iMac is that I like the form factor. It's the coolest design I've seen even though I've never been a fan of the All-in-one design.

If I go with the PowerMac, I'll choose the G5 over the G4 because of the overall improvements to the architecture. Even with a revision 1, I think it will offer longer life thatn the G4.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i'd get the iMac then... let g5 work its kinks out, see how it is... who knows when it will ship anyway.

in the mean time, you can enjoy your loaded iMac... and your kids will be very happy in a few years and you can upgrade to a g5 without "wasting" anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.