Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-want-an-iMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2024
Ladies and genetlemen, first world problems here!
I always use my computer (ThinkPad) at home, so I would be perfectly happy with both.
iMac (24" M1)
  • The Macbook's display is beautiful already, but the iMac's huge 24" inch display with it's design just commands attention. It's a truly epic sight. Makes my jaw drop to the floor. And it's very hard to find a similar screen. For that reason I'm much more drawn there. But....
Macbook (13" Pro, M1)
  • The Macbook's keyboard feels more comfortable and touchpad is there, close. Feels good to touch and rest your hand on the smooth metal chassis. So better tactile experience.
  • You can change positions in your house at your desk, in bed, perhaps rarely at the Starbucks to show off how "sophisticated" you are of course.
  • Screen is still beautiful, albeit much smaller. And also looks beauty, though not clearly as much as the iMac.
How do I choose? I would love both! Price is similar, and not a part of equation now....

Last edited:

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I have both a M1 MacBook and and a M3 iMac.

If you are mostly going to be using your machine at home or on a desk, then don't even look at the MacBook. The iMac is a phenomenal machine and you will really appreciate the bigger 4.5K screen. I use the Touchpad rather than the crappy Apple mouse so I can use the gestures I am fully accustomed to with my MacBook. Win-win.

Unless you have a real need for portability then you cannot go wrong with the iMac.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I've got an M1 MacBook Air and an M1 iMac. I get plenty of use out of both, but when I'm at home it's almost always the iMac I'm going to sit down at because of screen size and ergonomics. There are definitely times when it's nice to plop down on the couch or in bed with the Air, but if I had to pick one it would be the iMac.

This is a bit of a cop out, but if your budget allows, my recommendation would be to get both. Get an M3 iMac (or, if you want to save a bit of money, an Apple refurbished M1 iMac) as your main machine, but then also shell out maybe $500-600 for a used MacBook Air M1 if it meets your usage requirements. You don't mention what kind of work you're doing, but a base model M1 Air will handle all your web browsing and general productivity stuff without breaking a sweat.

Last edited:
Reactions: picpicmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.