Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reiginko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2003
I've been considering buying a dual 2.3 GHz G5 PowerMac for a few weeks now, but now I'm wondering whether it'd be worth it, now that the Intel iMac is out. Considering that the 2.0 GHz dual Intel is 2-3X faster than the old single 2.1 GHz G5 iMac, wouldn't that be (at least slightly) faster than the Dual 2.3 G5? Now, considering that after you add a 20" Cinema Display to the cost of the PowerMac, the 20" iMac is around half the price, why would anyone buy a PowerMac, unless we're talking Quad (outside my price range, unfortunately)?

The only problem I can foresee is the fact that my software will have to be run in Rosetta, but the only really hardware intensive 3rd-party software I use with any regularity is Halo. I'm starting to worry that Halo came out right in that sweet spot where the game is too new to run in Rosetta, but too old for anyone to bother making a universal binary.

Oh the dilemma.

Anyway, at this point I'm leaning toward the iMac, but is there any reason I don't know about that would make me shoot for the PowerMac?

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
Dilemma

I've also been debating the same thing. For me is different since I bought a PM DC G5 2.0 last Saturday. Who would have thought that the iMac would be bumped to Pro status for the moment? While it made much sense for Apple to capitilize on the iMac's success and keep upgrading it, everything else takes a hit and at this point makes purchasing a Mac a tough task. Especially if you need the computer at this moment, but also want to get the best for your money. Here are somethings to think about which might make the answer easier....

Positives
PM G5 2.0 & 2.3, 64 Bit Computers
PCI Express, 2 Gigabit Ethernet cards
4 USB and 3 FW(2x400, 1x800)
All Apple pro apps and 3rd party ones will run natively and utilize the hardware to it's best.
Has an upside for upgradeability as more PCI-E cards come out.

Negatives
Intel iMac seems to be just or more powerful than the first two PM's.
G5's might be completely gone from the apple lines by this year which most likely means a Quad Intel will be out by Q4. This may make one feel more outdated than just a speed bump upgrade. Will now be outdated much faster than previously thought.

Intel iMac
Positives
Dual Core 2.0 32 Bit processors
3 USB & 2 FW 400
iLife 06, iSight Built in, Front Row
17 & 20'in screen, Can run a second 1080p capable monitor.
Awesome design

Negatives
Rev A. can have many problems, but also will be the lowest power system of the Intels by the summer. Rumors of Rev B. being twice as fast and having new advanced features already starting
I know there are always going to be upgrades, but is the extreme ones would should watch for like a PVR Mac or Blu-Ray and HD-DVD drives shipping with them.
Apple pro apps not yet native, but by March yes.
3rd Party apps not yet native, however which ones will be this year or next depends and how badly you need them.
Rosetta....Not sure how fast and reliable yet.

So it's not easy if you need a machine with some Pro functionality and this is the beginning of the year. More crazy upgrades are coming.

irrªtiºnal

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
... at just under three months, the iSight iMac
G5 may have been the shortest-lived Mac yet...

-- that very same article

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.