Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludo_B

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2020
Belgium
Hi, I’m completely new to Mac and have an iMac PowerPC G3 that I have some questions about:
  1. Am I supposed to update/upgrade, or is that ill-advised? Currently I see it is: Mac OS X version 10.4.8, Processor 400 MHz, Memory 384 MB SDRAM, Kernel Darwin 8.8.0
  2. Via Airport I tried to connect to wifi, but although it did see my wifi, typing the password did not connect. I haven’t tried via cable yet, because I’m not sure which entrance to use – the one with the telephone symbol or with the “<>” symbol?
  3. When the above is sorted, here’s what I plan to use this machine for: add a new .dmg-keyboard from https://www.sanskritpro.com/download/

axboi87

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
Dallas, Tx
That's likely the latest OS version that machine will support. Also on the WiFi, it's unlikely a newer router will support that WiFi card or vice versa, so if you can even use that machine for anything, it will (probably) need to be connected via Ethernet. Can't speak to the compatibility of that program with such an older version of Mac OS (looked on their site and can't find system requirements).

Reactions: Ludo_B

brianmowrey

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020
<> is ethernet.

And if you post over in the PowerPC forum, someone can probably tell you the security settings to put on your wifi to make it compatible with your machine. I'm pretty sure it's WPA. Modern routers want to use WPA2, but you can switch them back to WPA. It's less secure but fine if you're not worried about hacker neighbors.

Any font and keyboard packages should work fine but the PowerPC forum will have a better answer.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Hi, I’m completely new to Mac and have an iMac PowerPC G3 that I have some questions about:
  1. Am I supposed to update/upgrade, or is that ill-advised? Currently I see it is: Mac OS X version 10.4.8, Processor 400 MHz, Memory 384 MB SDRAM, Kernel Darwin 8.8.0
  2. Via Airport I tried to connect to wifi, but although it did see my wifi, typing the password did not connect. I haven’t tried via cable yet, because I’m not sure which entrance to use – the one with the telephone symbol or with the “<>” symbol?
  3. When the above is sorted, here’s what I plan to use this machine for: add a new .dmg-keyboard from https://www.sanskritpro.com/download/
It’ll update to 10.4.11, and doing so is greatly advised. If it doesn’t show up in software update you can get updates on the macintosh garden. However I have always been able to install updates directly in software update on Tiger.

I would give up on connecting it to wifi, as the airport card in that machine doesn’t support WPA2. And changing your network to support the lesser secure methods for the sake of the iMac is ill advised. Just plug an ethernet cable into it.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
You can increase the memory to 1GB of RAM using 2 512MB PC100/133 modules - a highly recommended and cheap upgrade.

Your WiFi will not work as your card doesn't support modern encryption. If you must have WiFi and cannot use Ethernet, I have used this adapter on an iBook G3 and it worked very well - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-...ocphy=9045993&hvtargid=pla-405660680528&psc=1

As others have said, run Apple Software Update to get up to Mac OS 10.4.11.

Not much else you can do with the machine to upgrade it, other than installing an SSD which might make it somewhat snappier, but I suspect that will be beyond your abilities given that you say you are new to the Mac.

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
You need to update Tiger to 10.4.11 to support WPA2 personal encryption for Airport, or otherwise you will not be able to login to your modern wireless router. The instructions below will get you to connect to a WPA2 router. It will be @ 2.4Ghz and Wireless b, but it should connect. The instructions below should allow you to connect to a WPA2 router after Tiger update to 10.4.11.

Tiger 10.4.11 combo update:

Reactions: Ludo_B
You need to update Tiger to 10.4.11 to support WPA2 personal encryption for Airport, or otherwise you will not be able to login to your modern wireless router. The instructions below will get you to connect to a WPA2 router. It will be @ 2.4Ghz and Wireless b, but it should connect. The instructions below should allow you to connect to a WPA2 router after Tiger update to 10.4.11.

Tiger 10.4.11 combo update:

In addition, you will need to use the older, less-secure TKIP encryption algorithm for WPA2 Personal and not AES, as the original AirPort card cannot deal with AES.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
As one last measure concerning WiFi, I would propose an alternative route. You can use an older Airport Express module or an older WiFi router and connect it to your main router to serve as a WAP (Wireless Access Point). Apple's software for AE makes this easy (so I have been led to believe) but it's easy to do with an old router by simply turning off DHCP, assigning the router a static IP address outside of the main network address and giving it the DNS of the main router.

Either way, it gives your old devices a bridge to the outside world while still placing them behind your main router's security.

Just something to think about.

Ludo_B

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2020
Belgium
Thank you all for the useful replies!

Since now I can at least reach the web via ethernet, I have no absolute need for wifi anymore.

But.. trying to update, I was asked for a password - which does not happen when starting up the machine.
Unfortunately I do not remember who donated this PC, so I have no clue what the password is that goes with the used username.

Are there tricks to overrule and get into the terminal as admin perhaps, for doing the update?
I am a Linux-user and, though not an expert, not afraid of using the CLI.

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
Thank you all for the useful replies!

Since now I can at least reach the web via ethernet, I have no absolute need for wifi anymore.

But.. trying to update, I was asked for a password - which does not happen when starting up the machine.
Unfortunately I do not remember who donated this PC, so I have no clue what the password is that goes with the used username.

Are there tricks to overrule and get into the terminal as admin perhaps, for doing the update?
I am a Linux-user and, though not an expert, not afraid of using the CLI.

Follow this instruction below to reset admin password.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Not much else you can do with the machine to upgrade it, other than installing an SSD which might make it somewhat snappier, but I suspect that will be beyond your abilities given that you say you are new to the Mac.

From my experience, an SSD will definitely make it snappier - despite the iMac G3's bus limitations. :) A SATA spinner would also provide a marked improvement over an IDE HDD, especially if it's an original stock unit from over 20 years ago - anything has to be better than that! :D

Replacing the iMac G3's HDD is fairly easy but as @r6mile has mentioned that's something to potentially consider for later if you're not confident enough yet with dismantling the machine. In the meanwhile, a good move would be to optimise Tiger as much as possible: check out @z970mp's AquaTrimcelerator thread that provides much of this in one package. I certainly don't miss Spotlight, the Dashboard or shadow effects on my iMac G3 or any of my other less powerful Macs. :)

Ludo_B

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2020
Belgium
Follow this instruction below to reset admin password.

That worked like a charm, thanks!

What remains now is the install of the .dmg keyboard that does not work.
The install procedure for this version of Mac says:
To use the self-installing .dmg file, just double-click it. Restart or Log Out/In

(snipped) for MacOS 10.2 to 10.9.0 – Click on the Input Sources tab at the top. In the pane on the left scroll down the installed keyboards listed alphabetically until you find your new keyboard and tick its checkbox. Make
sure the option Show Input menu in menu bar is ticked. Close System Preferences.
But double-clicking the .dmg file opens a new window with "devanagari-QwertyPro v5.0.bundle" and a folder next to it that has this text underneath it: "Drag here to install".

Reboot nor logout/in shows the new keyboard in the list.

From here on I should probably better contact the developers of this particular keyboard, since their instructions are not 100% correct for this version of iMac.

Reactions: iluvmacs99
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.