Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LobbyComm1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2022
Good afternoon everyone,

I have a 2017 iMac Pro with a 3.2 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W processor, 64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 memory and a Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB graphics card. I work in communications and do a lot of graphics work and video editing on Final Cut Pro. I've been thinking about ordering the Black Magic eGPU that has the following stats: "desktop-class graphics performance on your MacBook Pro with the Blackmagic eGPU. Featuring the Radeon Pro 580 graphics processor, the Blackmagic eGPU is built to make any Mac with Thunderbolt 3 ports a graphics powerhouse. Enjoy supersmooth gaming, accelerate graphics-intensive pro app workflows, and enable VR experiences or content creation. Built-in I/O connections drive a Thunderbolt 3 display, support multiple accessories, and charge your MacBook Pro at the same time." I would be ordering this to boost my ability to do graphics and video editing quicker and "upgrade the iMac Pro." However, with a price tag of $699.99, I wonder if I should order the BlackMagic (which I am totally fine doing as long as I would be able to update the iMac Pro for at least another 2 - 3 years. The other option is looking to update to another Mac with an M processor. I absolutely adore my iMac Pro with the black color, but I am torn as to what I should do in the situation. I would sincerely appreciate the advice of the expertise you all have on these forums. Should I keep the iMac Pro and order the Blackmagic, or scrap it and order a Mac with an M processor? Any and all advice is extremely welcomed and very much appreciated!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Good afternoon everyone,

I have a 2017 iMac Pro with a 3.2 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W processor, 64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 memory and a Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB graphics card. I work in communications and do a lot of graphics work and video editing on Final Cut Pro. I've been thinking about ordering the Black Magic eGPU that has the following stats: "desktop-class graphics performance on your MacBook Pro with the Blackmagic eGPU. Featuring the Radeon Pro 580 graphics processor, the Blackmagic eGPU is built to make any Mac with Thunderbolt 3 ports a graphics powerhouse. Enjoy supersmooth gaming, accelerate graphics-intensive pro app workflows, and enable VR experiences or content creation. Built-in I/O connections drive a Thunderbolt 3 display, support multiple accessories, and charge your MacBook Pro at the same time." I would be ordering this to boost my ability to do graphics and video editing quicker and "upgrade the iMac Pro." However, with a price tag of $699.99, I wonder if I should order the BlackMagic (which I am totally fine doing as long as I would be able to update the iMac Pro for at least another 2 - 3 years. The other option is looking to update to another Mac with an M processor. I absolutely adore my iMac Pro with the black color, but I am torn as to what I should do in the situation. I would sincerely appreciate the advice of the expertise you all have on these forums. Should I keep the iMac Pro and order the Blackmagic, or scrap it and order a Mac with an M processor? Any and all advice is extremely welcomed and very much appreciated!
The Radeon 580 is not necessarily an upgrade over the Vega 56 so you'd want to do some research for your specific workflow before buying. Given that Apple Silicon Macs, at least so far, don't support eGPUs in any way, it seems like a very bad investment to buy one today. I'd just use the iMac Pro as-is until it can no longer do the work you need it to do, then buy an Apple Silicon Mac.

Reactions: rpmurray

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I noticed someone replied to the other thread, but I'll reply here.

The Blackmagic eGPU is a Radeon Pro 580 (basically an RX 580). So I'll refer to the Blackmagic eGPU as a "Radeon Pro 580."

The Radeon Pro 580 has just over half the compute units of the Vega 56 - doesn't necessarily mean half the performance, but it will be slower. The Radeon 580 has 36 compute units I believe, while the Vega 56, as you would expect, has 56 compute units. But "compute units" don't really matter unless you're using Cinema 4D, Blender, etc. So if you're doing that kind of "video editing/graphics" work, then the Vega 56 is going to be faster. With the Radeon Pro 580 you are only getting GDDR5 memory, while on the Vega 56 you're getting HBM2 memory.

I'm not a professional like you are, but I do heavy graphics work sometimes (I'm a musician but I also work in video editing occasionally). You should not waste your money on a Radeon Pro 580. It has about the same performance of a GTX 1650 Super. I happen to have a spare 1650 Super, and it's okay, but definitely not great.

But if you're using this in addition to the Vega 56 instead of replacing it altogether, I think it will be a slight improvement.

What kind of video editing do you do? I worked for someone who has an iMac Pro (same spec but upgraded to the Vega 64), and he says it runs beautifully in Premiere and After Effects.

But the M1 is VERY slow in Premiere in my experience compared to DaVinci, so it also depends on the software. Can you elaborate a bit more?

Seiko4169

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
England
I have 2 iMac Pro’s, one with the Vega 56 and the other with a Vega 64. I also have the Blackmagic Egpu with Vega 56 that helps out a 6’1. Unless you couple that IMac Pro with a dedicated EGPU that caters for a more powerful discrete card I don’t think you’ll see a big difference. I use mine for a variety of indie game developments and don’t need more GPU at the moment.

As for an m1 trade in, I’m holding fire in the hope Apple comes good on a newer iMac 27” or 32”. Probably unlikely given the Studio and Studio display combo but whilst the IMac Pro’s perform I’m waiting ‘patiently’.

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
As for an m1 trade in, I’m holding fire in the hope Apple comes good on a newer iMac 27” or 32”. Probably unlikely given the Studio and Studio display combo but whilst the IMac Pro’s perform I’m waiting ‘patiently’.
On the same submarine. I'm looking for Apple to release either an Mx iMac Pro 27 inch or bigger, or an Mx Mac Pro that doesn't require me to sell a kidney.

ssj92

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2022
East Bay, CA
Since I also have a iMac Pro, I've also debated whether I wanted to go Mac Studio, upgrade iMac Pro, or look into a Mac Pro 7,1 or M series Mac Pro.

Mine has 10-Core Xeon, 32GB RAM, Vega 56, 1TB SSD.

Here's one option I thought of:

-Buy a Razer Core X (around $350 new or buy used ~$200) eGPU Thunderbolt enclosure
-Buy a AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT GPU to put into that enclosure (6800XT, 6800 is also an option)

This would provide much better gpu performance but one problem it wouldn't solve is 8K HVEC video editing in Final Cut Pro X. For this I would hope the next gen RX 7900 XT is supported in macOS and adds new video engine to support 8K HVEC better than current RX 6000 series.

I also thought about buying the 18-Core CPU on eBay and going 128GB RAM while I was at it but that is a much more involved process.

At the end of it I may be able to get a Mac Studio instead of doing all the upgrades but, that would require something like the 27" Studio display so it's still all a debate. If I do just eGPU enclosure + GPU it isn't as bad of a dent in the wallet, especially with something like 6800 XT instead of 6900.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.