Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cylack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
I tend to use my Mac's a long time (4-5 years) so when I purchase I max them out on specs. I'm on a 2015 MacBook Pro with 16GB Ram and 1TB SSD. I'm researching an iMac Pro purchase but since it is very expensive, instead of the usual 4 years I plan on using it for 8 years. My i7 Hackintosh that I built in 2009 is still going strong and I gave it to my parents; MacOS tends to work very well even on old hardware. So my question, is sticking with the base iMac Pro good enough to "future proof" or should I bump ump any specs, specifically the RAM and the graphics card. I work as a stock day trader and need to use multiple monitors; is the base Vega 56 with 8GB RAM enough to drive two external 27 inch monitors?

Also, I decided on the imac pro instead of the new 2019 i9 imac because the pro uses work station grade components, better cooling system, space grey colorway (I'm a design snob), and 10 GB ethernet, which may be useful in a few years when fiber to connect is common among all isp's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.